Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auto-numbering & Styles (Word 2000 SP-1)

Many thanks for the responses I got to my cross-reference question. As I stated in that post, I know only enough to be dangerous in Word, so here is possibly another example of self-inflicted wounds:

I am using Auto-numbering & Styles in a long document, and following the advice of some article I read on the Internet, I am doing this formatting by modifying the style, not directly applying the formatting to the individual sections of the document (which I understand can really "muck" things up).

I am using a heading 1 style that shows "Article I, Article II., etc." and a heading 2 style that is supposed to show Section 1.1 etc, Section 2.1 etc., and so on.

The heading 1 style sequences properly from Article I, to Art. II, etc. The heading 2 style, however, either continues from the previous (e.g. what is supposed to be 2.1 reads 1.5 etc.). I fixed that by modifying the numbering attribute of the style to stop it from "continue from previous list". Then it started renumbering the section numbers from scratch (i.e. in Art II, the first section was 1.1 instead of 2.1) I played around with the parameters in the outline numbering, but now it numbers heading 2 as Section 4.1, and does so not only under Article IV, but also retroactively under Articles I--III. (even though I set the standard to apply "from this point forward", not to "the whole list")

Obviously I am in over my head, so would appreciate someone throwing me a rope to tell me how to corral this critter. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Auto-numbering & Styles (Word 2000 SP-1)

Esschoir,

You're close to having got this right, but there's one more (counterintuitive) thing you need to observe:

Don't edit the numbering properties of each of the styles individually; when you do this you are actually creating separate lists which is why they are behaving as if the different levels aren't aware of each other.

What you've got to do instead: create all of the styles that you will want to use for your outline numbered list, but do not yet apply any of the numbering properties.

Then go to modify the style that corresponds to the first level of the outline list. Go to modify numbering, customize, and then build your outline numbered list from there - that is, assign the style that corresponds to each level and set the properties for each level. Then you can OK your way out.

Similarly, when modifying/tweaking any existing outline numbered list that is linked to styles, you must have your insertion point in a paragraph that has the style applied which corresponds to Level 1 of your outline numbered list. From there you can then go to Format > Bullets & Numbering, Customize, and make the needed changes and then OK your way out. - even if the level you need to tweak is not level 1, you must enter the customize numbering dialog from a paragraph which has the level one style applied to it.

The above will ensure that your outline numbered list will be linked to the same list template at every level of the list.

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary - thanks for the advice. I *think* I see where you're going with this, but am still having some difficulties. Don't forget, I mucked this up already, so the numberings are already applied to the styles, I am trying to revise them to get where I want.

I took your advice re "even if the level you need to tweak is not level 1, you must enter the customize numbering dialog from a paragraph which has the level one style applied to it". I did so, then I clicked Level 2 in the upper left part of the "Customize Outline Numbered List" (since that's the level I need to tweak). What's confounding me is that in the numbering "Section 2.1", the SECOND numeral (the 1) is highlighted in grey, the trouble I am having is the numeral BEFORE the dot, in this case 2. I try to highlight that numeral and adjust the settings, but as I say, I am thrashing around and not getting the results I want. How do I make sure the changes apply to the right numeral? What settings do I put for, e.g., 'previous level number" (usually trying to put level 1 just adds a numeral where I don't want it), "link level to style" (I assume I WANT to link it to heading 2, the style I want), "legal style numbering" (do I want that or not), "restart numbering after level x" (do I want that or not), "apply changes to [whole list]" (do I want that or not)

By comparing level 1 to level 2, I notice that level 1 has certain things greyed out, and the sequences are correct (i.e. if I am in Article III, it knows that numbering should start with III in that paragraph) - how do I make level 2 behave like level 1?

Many thanks in advance from a frustrated user.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi again,

The misbehavior you're getting with the Section 2.1 numbering is another symptom of different list templates being applied to different styles (and paragraphs) that are supposed to be linked to a single list.

You could, as you say, thrash around trying to put the pieces back together, but a more pragmatic solution might be to (sort of) start from scratch by doing the following:

Locate the very first paragraph in the document that belongs to your outline list (I guess this would be "Article I"). Ensure that the insertion point is in this paragraph.

Go to Format > Bullets and Numbering > Customize, and ensure that the outline numbering scheme is built exactly the way you want it; step down to each level and make sure they are linked to the proper style etc.

Now that you've manually set up a list template linked to styles the way you want them, you can enforce that all of the numbered paragraphs in your document are properly linked to this list template, simply by going through your document and reapplying the styles - it's a bit weird, but you may have a Heading 2 paragraph that isn't behaving correctly, you reapply Heading 2 style (after having fixed the outline list's properties as above) and boom, the numbering snaps correctly into place. It's a bit counterintuitive in that it goes against the way Word styles usually work - that is you can have a Heading 2 style behave differently in different parts of the document, if it's related to one list template in one place, and another one in another.

Reapplying the styles should fix the numbering up; as a way to speed up reapplying all the styles, you might try using Find/Replace to find each instance of a paragraph with Heading 2 style and replace with Heading 2 style (leave the find and replace text parameters empty) - this should work as a shortcut for reapplying the styles.

Hope this helps!

Gary

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary:
    This is a very old post, but I've just re-read it & have a question. In the second to last paragraph, you mention modifying an existing outline style, with the insertion point in Level 1 paragraph, by going to Format/Bullets & Numbering....

What is the difference between doing that & , with the insertion point still in Level 1 paragraph, by going to Fomat/Style.../Modify/Format/Numbering?

Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I questioned that, too. I was taught that you should never go to Format/Bullets and Numbering, but should instead make any modifications to numbering through Format/Style. Gary, has it been your experience that if you go to Format/Bullets and Numbering while you're in a Heading 1 paragraph, that that is as stable as going through Format/Styles? Is it because you're in a Heading 1 paragraph that Word assumes that the modifications you are making apply to Heading 1, and then down the line to the other Heading styles?

Lee Morgan

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Phil, Lee:

Since I originally wrote up notes on doing autonumbering styles (about 3 years ago), I've switched to advising to do everything through Format/Style/Modify and 'drilling to China' (as I think Microsystems call it) - not because it makes any difference at all functionally, but because it's more consistent and less confusing for users to tell them to do everything via Format > Style.

The reason it makes no difference functionally - and this is the confusing part - is that the Bullets and Numbering dialog accessed via Format > Bullets and Numbering, is the same dialog (in function as well as appearance) as the one accessed via Format > Style > Modify (at least with regard to attaching styles to a list template via the Outline Numbering tab; not certain with regard to the other two tabs but I think it's the case with these as well).

It's confusing because the other dialogs under Format - like Paragraph or Tabs - do not work that way: Format>Paragraph or Tabs apply direct/local formatting only; to affect the style definition itself you need to access those dialogs via Format>Style.

Bullets and Numbering is the odd exception in that you can manipulate the numbering properties of the style itself, by accessing the numbering dialog from either location.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, that is odd. Thanks for the explanation.

Lee Morgan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary:
    Thanks for the explanation. I could find no difference either; hence the question.
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,
    With regard to creating a style, I am trying to do this: Have a Roman numeral centered and bolded. There should not be a tab after it. What is happening to me is, if I do not type something on the same line with the numeral, which I hit enter, the numeral disappears. I am thinking that I am not linking it correctly when I am in Numbering, Outline Numbered, Customized, More, link level to style. The style I have created is named Hdg 4 and this is what I have selected in the link level to style box. Can you help me?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Jan,

That is, believe it or not, the way Word usually behaves - type nothing on the line with the number, press Enter, and the number disappears, even though that paragraph still has the autonumbered style applied.

Complicating matters - I have been able to create autonumbered styles in the past, that defeat that default behavior, i.e. the number doesn't disappear when you press Enter - trouble is, I can't at the moment reproduce the steps I used to get that effect!

In any case, could you attach a small sample document illustrating the numbering problem you're having? - then we can take it away and play with it, and perhaps someone will come up with the solution for you.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not Gary, but I'll answer your question anyway.
    I'm assuming you want to have a series of these paragraphs, with numbers that will increment automatically.

If what you want is a paragraph with a Roman numeral in it, with no text, then you need to use a SEQ (sequence) field, not a style with numbering applied.

1. Define your style to be centered and bolded, but don't add numbering. Create a new paragraph and apply this style.
    2. Position the insertion point at the beginning of the paragraph. From the menu bar, click Insert > Field.
    3. In the Field dialog, choose Numbering in the Categories box and Seq in the Field Names box.
    4. In the box below them, you'll see SEQ appear. After the SEQ, some identifying name (let's use "Roman"). Now click the Options button.
    5. On the General Switches tab of the Field Options dialog, choose "I,II,III" (if you want capital roman numerals) and click the Add to Field button.
    6. Click OK, then OK again. Your paragraph should now have a I in it.

When you get to the paragraph where you want the II to appear, you don't have to go through all that again. Just copy the paragraph you created and paste it in the new place. Select the I and press F9 to update the field. It will become II.

To make this even easier, you can create an autotext entry to insert these fields where you want them.

Regards, Jean
    Jean Hollis Weber
    jean@jeanweber.com
    The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
    -----------------
    Taming Microsoft Word 2000, 110 pages of tips and tricks for business and technical documents. For a contents list, downloading and payment information, go to: http://www.jeanweber.com/books/tamewd2k.htm

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Jean,

If all that Jan needs is that one level of numbering, with no linked numbered styles either 'above' or 'below' it, then using a SEQ field is a straightforward solution.

If more numbered styles need to be linked into an outline numbered list (hard to tell from Jan's post, but I assume that is what is needed since she mentions going into outline numbering), then the use of SEQ field isn't really the best way to go - it is possible to set up complex outline numbering schemes using SEQ fields entirely but they become extremely complex, unless you are using an add-in that creates all the nested fields for you.

For outline numbered schemes, setting up styles and linking them to an outline numbering scheme is the better way to go (although it admittedly it comes with its own set of problems).
    See the attached document for an example that meets Jan's requirements - there are three styles named Level1, Level2, and Level3 that make up an outline numbered scheme.
    If you apply the Level1 style to a new paragraph, it produces a centered uppercase roman autonumber - and if you then hit Enter without typing anything else, the autonumber does remain.
    (Only problem is, I set up this demo a long time ago, and can't reproduce that behavior now!).

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary, I have created a one page pleading wherein I have used the style I need for Roman numerals, centered and bolded. If I already have a document with the text that goes after the Roman numeral, the style works perfectly. The problem is that the text is not there when I need to use the style.

I got an answer from someone else regarding this and all of the steps required by that are was too much. I need to have a button to click on that formats.

I hope this sample page will help anyone who may be able to figure out my problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Jan,

Please see the attached document - I have taken your document and made just one change - in the style definition for the Hdg 4 style, you had the style 'for following paragraph' set to Hdg 4 style as well.

I've changed that to 'BT', which appears to be the style you want after Hdg 4.

The numbers now don't disappear if you type a return at the end of a Hdg 4 paragraph which has no other text than the autonumber.

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast