2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network Neighborhood Icon - is it needed?

I did something stupid -- using TweakUI, I took the Network icon off my desktop. Now some stuff doesn't work. I can't get to Control Panel to use TweakUI to fix it -- I just get a message that due to controls on this computer I don't have access and to see my administrator. No such thing -- I'm it.

I tried reinstalling Windows ME, but it hung up at the point when it was about to copy files to my disk -- froze completely and had to power down and restart.

Help!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Neighborhood Icon - is it needed?

Have you tried System Restore (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>system Restore)? If you have a restore point from before you made this change, that should sort you out.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, my last "restore point" is something like last January! So I don't think that will work!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It should fix the current problem, but you would lose any software installed since then. You shouldn't lose any other data, though. If it would leave you a lot to reinstall, then another solution might be better; but I'm not familiar with TWEAKUI, so I can't help there.

If you do restore, the registry will be purged of any entries for software installed after the restore date, but the folders and files will still be there. You wiil need to search them out and delete them yourself. I always recommend backing up data files, but they should not be affected by a restore. If you have installed any software that maintains its own data store/folder, I suggest saving that.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I bit the bullet and reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything. A tad drastic, I know, but now everything's working great. In fact, it was so easy, I may just get Windows XP and do it all again!