New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on one machine and I am having continual problem with Adobe Flash Player or lack thereof. Almost every site I visit ask to load Flash Player or Active X. Both Flash Player and Shockwave Player are clearly indicated as being installed in Control Panel. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Flash Player at least a dozen times trying to find a cure. I have no problems on my 32-bit machines. Any ideas?

Don Aldridge

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you using IE 64bit? Try using IE 32bit and the players should work.

Thanks
    Hello Donald A. & Donald S. and welcome to the Lounge!

Donald A., if you are using the 64 bit version of IE, the reason you cannot get the plug-ins to work is that most plug-ins have been written in 32 bit and we are still waiting for availability of 64 bit plug-ins for popular web browsers.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To quote from the HP Forum (the link here: h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/Adobe-Flash-Player/m-p/225713#M17610
    "Web sites and software are still catching up to 64bit, so until there is better compatibility out there, use the non-64bit version of Internet Explorer for sites that require Flash.

Click Start > All Programs > towards the top of the list will be two versions of IE. Select the one that doesn't have 64bit next to it."

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the inputs. Yes, I am aware that there are two versions of IE 8 but it happens with the 32-bit version also. This is not an issue with drivers; it only occurs with Adobe Flash Player and Active-X. There was no problem when I was running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Aldridge View Post
    Thanks for the inputs. Yes, I am aware that there are two versions of IE 8 but it happens with the 32-bit version also. This is not an issue with drivers; it only occurs with Adobe Flash Player and Active-X. There was no problem when I was running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.
    Have you tried using the Flash uninstaller at How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had not. I just ran it; we will see if that does the trick. Thanks.

Don

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Snyder View Post
    Are you using IE 64bit? Try using IE 32bit and the players should work.
    I hope they never come up with a 64 bit flash. I am more than happy to ignore the promps in IE 8 64 bit,
    a matter of pride really. The 32 bit browser works well enough with flash whenever I need it.

I could take up a considerable amount of time ranting about this horrid, but unfortunately usefull thing
    that Adobe can't seem to get right.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    might also be handy to install Firefox 3.6 and then re-run the Shockwave Installer to make sure the plug-in is added to all browsers. There is a non-IE Flash installer for FF which will have to be added when FF is closed.

All the add-ons can be found here: http://www.filehippo.com/software/internet/ (always remember to enable the NO BETA filter when on this site)