New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is my first post and the result of frustration with my desk top!

I was given an SP3 to download so I started it and at the end I had a box with the title "some updates could not be installed" screen print attached (I hope).

Before Christmas I had the same problem with SP3 for Office 2003. That repeated itself for a few tries and then I gave up on it.

What is my problem?

Let me know what additional info you will need!

Chris A.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    C Arrowsmith
    BA(Open), MBCS, CITP, Dip. Mgmt.(Open)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you already have Office XP installed and functioning, or are you trying to install Office from scratch?
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    XP was originally installed back in 1997 ish and has functioned reasonably well ever since. I also have Office 2003 Professional which has a frequent moan about not being a valid copy although it is! I have learnt to ignore that.

My PC tower was built to replace an old Dell computer with Office 95 and apart from a lack of USB ports (I recently added 4) it is fine.
    C Arrowsmith

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
    XP was originally installed back in 1997 ish...
    It probably feels that way, but it was released around 2002.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need to check the SP3 installation log - should be in the Windows directory somewhere - look for a log file created at the same time you tried to install SP3. It will list the problems and then you can search Microsoft for the answer.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a number of logs which I do not understand! They seem to list activity and have lots of switches(?) which include the word error - I'm guessing flags to use when checking for problems?

I transferred one log into WORD and found it was 250 pages long. I scanned for the word error and found the following text:-

"Property(S): DWERRORTEXT = An error occured during the installation, and setup was unable to complete.
    Property(S): DWHEADERTEXT = Microsoft Office Setup did not complete successfully. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Near to the end I found the following:-

"Property(S): TYPICALUPGRADETEXT = &Upgrade Now
    Property(S): UNQUALIFIEDOSERROR = This product cannot be installed on this computer. This product requires Microsoft Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a, or Windows 2000 or later.
    Property(S): UpgradeCode = {00280000-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"

Since then I have had my PC going on about new downloads and they were?

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
    Office XP Service Pack 3
    Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3)

The updates which fail to apply!

I have attached the 250 page WORD with a screen print of the error message I received inserted at the start. If this does help with my problem I would be very interested in having the log explained for future reference. When I worked as a main frame programmer, debugging hexadecimal mainframe dumps as part of my work but I still needed some basic instruction to help me learn how to read dumps!

Christine Arrowsmith
    From Rochdale, United Kingdom
    C Arrowsmith

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is there a particular reason that you want both Office XP (2002) and Office 2003 installed on your PC? I think the issue you are encountering is from the fact you have both installed. Where you need that situation, it is important to install the older version first and then the newer - see this Microsoft Support Articlebut even then you may get some weird behaviors. If you can get by with just one version, then I would stick with Office 2003 Pro - it is still receiving normal Microsoft support, though that will probably change in the next few years. If you need to keep both versions, I would suggest installing Virtual PC and putting the version you use the least in the virtual PC. (That presumes that you are running WindowsXP or a later operating system that will support Virtual PC.)
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did not realize I had XP 2002 and Office 2003 and that the mismatch would cause problems. I had a man build the processor box and supply the software (I had an antique Dell so did not need to buy the keyboard, monitor etc.).

The box will not run Windows 7 according to Microsoft's test and until I am willing to upgrade the box I guess I just live with the situation!

Thanks for your help.

Chris A.
    C Arrowsmith

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you are using it to browse the web (cautiously), write an occasional memo, send an email, create an occasional spreadsheet, then you are probably going to be OK as long as you are using a decent anti-virus. If on the other hand you use it extensively all day long to do work, research, or programming, then you might want to return it to the shop and ask them to give you just Office 2003.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume that this is the reason why sometimes the Office programs whinge that they are illegal and I usually ignore them. I have asked my supplier and he states that they are not illegal and iff they are then a vast quantity of other users are also illegal!

have not programmed since 1984 when I was a mainframe COBOL Lead Programmer, yes I write letters, manage my household and personal accounts via Excel and brows the web using Mozilla Firefox.

I use AVG on my PC but I am Firewall-ed by the network owner - my baby brother who assures me he is in control!

I find this all very irritating and frustrating but I am not prepared to invest in new hardware just yet.

Chris A.
    C Arrowsmith

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It sounds like you may have gotten tangled up in the Microsoft Genuine Advantage update along with your issue of having two versions of Microsoft Office installed - sort of. But you certainly shouldn't need to buy new hardware to resolve this issue. If you go to Control Panel and choose Add / Remove Software, you should see two versions of Microsoft Office installed. One point to clarify - is it possible that we are mixing up Windows XP and Microsoft Office XP (a.k.a. 2002)? Also, do you have a CD-ROM with Office 2003? If not then your software may still be legal, but it makes it very difficult to reinstall Office - if you have a valid product key (25 character string you enter during installation) you may be able to download the software, but at that point the shop who did this should be willing to assist you.

And as to programming in COBOL, the last time I did that was in 1975 - much water and alot of programming languages have gone under the bridge since then.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have checked Add/Remove and found the following entries
    Microsoft Professional Edition 2003 with updates KB907417 and KB977713
    Microsoft Office Professional XP with FrontPage

I also notice I have Microsoft .NET Framework versions 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5.

The CD-Rom’s that I have are Windows XP Pro and Office XP, both labelled with 25 character keys. I am not sure where 2003 came from but I assume I need to delete it now – I await guidance!

I agree there has been a lot of water under the bridge since COBOL. For me it was systems analysis and 14 years freelance as a Business Analyst, terminated by a brain tumour in 1997 – hence my frustration with this software!
    C Arrowsmith

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, if you don't have the Microsoft Professional Edition 2003 then you probably need to remove it. Unfortunately in my experience removing things using control panel isn't always completely effective. Often times a registry cleaner is needed to completely get rid of something. So you may want to enlist the assistance of a good repair technician to assist you if after removing 2003 you still have issues trying to apply the service pack for XP. The functional difference in most applications between XP and 2003 isn't very great, so you should be OK. One thing I should note is that taking that approach will remove Microsoft Access from your PC. If you really want that, then you should probably see if who ever put 2003 on you PC can come up with a CD and make it legal. I know it all sounds like a tangled mess, and in some respects it most certainly is, but if you've survived those life experiences, then you shouldn't let this get you down.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have corrected this error by replacing the tower! The new box has arrived with Windows 7 and Office 2007, a major shock as 2002 is hard wired into my brain and activities I used to do keep needing help to find the icon I am used to. I actually feel that this version is more time consuming than the old.

For example to save I have to click on the spiral then select save, before there icon was on the tool bar. To print preview again it is a two step action instead of a single tool bar icon - or am I missing something?

By the way I have also discovered the Blue Screen of Death - twice so far. The initial fault indicated loose wiring so I contacted my supplier (an individual) who is on holiday. At the next event I decided to back up and was recommended to create a system start up disk. I inserted a blank disk only to find the DVD read/writer was not recognized. If I was not such a coward I would open the box and check the wiring but I am a coward so will have to wait until the football is finished!
    C Arrowsmith

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As for needing extra clicks to save a document in Office 2007, have you noticed the Quick Access Toolbar at the upper left. If the Save and the Print Preview icons aren't already there, you can add them by clicking the little down arrow at the right of the toolbar. Or you could go the even faster no-click route and use keyboard shortcuts, like Ctrl+S for Save.

Fafmer