New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I perform an OS recovery (Windows Vista Home Premium; 32 bit) on my HP laptop (Pavillion dv9543cl), and prior to any attempts at updating, I run the SFC (sfc /scannow) test; the paraphrased response is that 'errors were detected, but could not be repaired'. As I updated the Windows OS, the inability of the Windows Resource Protection program was run after each time the computer was restarted with the same result until 100+ updates were installed. Even when all updates required for the Service Pack 1, same message was obtained when the SFC was run. Finally, after installation of Service Pack 1, I received the following message:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I can use the computer for a week or longer with no indication of a corrupt file when I run the SFC test daily. Occasionally, something happens to cause corrupt files, however, I have yet to proceed to the next step; any suggestions.

As an aside, I recently checked a new HP Pavillion laptop which had the 64 bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium and attempted the same SFC tests. Interestingly, I found that the success which I had achieved with my older 32 bit laptop was unachievable on that instrument even after it was completely updated several months ago (because of my concerns for security, I decided it was probably not a good idea to keep that instrument). While I like many aspects of the performance of my older instrument, I would appreciate any suggestions as to the appropriate way to recover and interpret the CBS log files. It would seem as though some software included by the manufacturer in the new product is presenting a problem. As an aside, it may be that I should formulate this as a question regarding a proper technique for removal of all the manufacturer-supplied junk-ware other than appropriate drivers.

Administrator
    Thanks
    As long as you are sure the program is not needed, I always start with the Control Panel Applet to uninstall programs.

If that does not work you can use something like Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download.

Joe

Thanks
    How old is your laptop?, is this a new problem/encounter?
    You may want to post your log files, someone here may have an opinion on them.
    You may also want to run a diagnostic utility other than "sfc" on your hard drive.

Start from least invasive;(diagnostic scans/software decrapification, to more invasive (clean instal).

junkware: If all you have in terms of a restore disk is an company OEM disk, or "os-on-partition" disk
    you can go through the control panels "add/remove programs" and uninstal uneeded software. There are also
    many decent uninstaller app out there that can be of use as well, as an example; revo uninstaller or jv16 PowerTools 2009.

PS
    In order to find some of these log files you need to "unhide" files and folders.
    Open explorer, go to tools>>folder options>>view. show hiden files/folder and uncheck hide protected files/folders.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am quite familiar with recommended methods and tools (e.g., Revo Uninstaller) for software removal and have tried removing the junk-ware and HP-helper files before, however, not all of the HP-helper software could be uninstalled via the control panel Program Files. Furthermore, the upshot of my efforts was that the slowing of my computer's performance was not alleviated. The motherboard of my HP Pavillion dv9543cl is a relatively recent model with the capability for 64 bit operation, however, when purchased in 2007, the vogue was to use only 32 bit Windows as there was not enough 64 bit software to justify electing that option. I guess the point of my inquiry is related to the possible interpretation of the CBS.log log files which are generated upon running the SFC procedure. Upon examining the information on the Microsoft site, I still could not figure out how to interpret those files and do not know if that is something anyone in this forum could help with.

I have performed recoveries from the recovery partition on my computer around 10 times over the past 2+ years. I recently had the factory reinstall the original software; however, when the instrument was shipped I immediately performed the SFC procedure and found that the Windows Resource Protection software built into the Windows OS was unable to repair the detected errors. In fact, even after installing approximately 115 updates (my best recollection of an event which happened 4-5 months ago) the SFC procedure was unable to repair the detected errors; only after installation of SP 1 was the SFC procedure able to repair the errors. As I see the problem, the original software encountered some impasse which would allow the necessary repair. Had I been able to figure out why the SFC procedure was stymied, perhaps I could uninstall or reinstall the software which originally caused the problem (assuming that this problem is not hardware-dependent). I have performed appropriate tests of the two hard drives in the laptop and they tested ok. I originally mentioned that a similar problem was encountered using a new HP instrument (model dvT 6-2000, I think) around 5 months ago [it was a 64 bit model with Windows Vista Home Premium OS]; however, with that instrument I was never able to get the SFC test to work even after all updates had been installed. So, I am trying to find out how one interprets the CBS.log log files and whether such information might help me get my instrument to run better. I continue to learn new techniques to deal with my problems and I continue to run into problems when my computer slows terribly for reasons which appear to be unrelated to malware, viruses, and the like. Any advice will be examined to see if this matter can be resolved. Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Found this site.
    I'd recomend deleting your current log file if it is too big and starting fresh, if you havn't already done so.

Google
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are two CBS files in the Windows\log\CBS folder - CBS and CBSpersist. If I attempt to delete the contents of either, can't do it unless you can give more information on how that is done. Also, is it a good idea to delete the CBS.log file? Reference?

I am familiar with the Microsoft website instructions for the examination and analysis of the SFC.exe file:

However, when I attempt to enter the command sequence:

'Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

The Sfcdetails.txt file includes the entries that are logged every time that the SFC.exe

program runs on the computer.'

I am unable to figure if and where spaces should exist in that CMD sequence. I have attempted to enter the sequence without and with spaces: With spaces after findstr; With spaces after findstr and after "[SR]". In none of my attempts has an appropriate SFC/CBS file been found on my desktop. I recall that when I tried fiddling with this about a year ago that I was able to obtain a report on the desktop; however, that occurred before I had the factory reinstall a new copy of the OS and I was unable to interpret that report at the time. Any suggestions are appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As a continuation, let me clarify some of the language and background of the problem which I have been attempting to describe. When I sent my computer to HP severaL months ago (Sept of 2009) to request that they reimage the c: drive, they initially returned the instrument without doing anything; I sent it a second time and this time the hard drive was reimaged. Upon receipt of what should be the equivalent of the original, I started the computer and, as soon as it booted, a SFC.exe command was performed. The result was that Windows Resource Protection (WRP) indicated that 'errors were detected which could not be repaired'. I subsequently installed approximately 115 +/- updates; since a restart was required several times during the update process, I ran the SFC.exe command after each; same result each time. Finally, after installation of sp1, the WRP reported that 'errors were repaired' (paraphrase). The ability of the WRP software to repair detected errors has not been altered following subsequent updates. Again, even though I frequently run the SFC.exe command on a daily basis, I can only rarely use the computer for multiple days and see no errors were detected; then I encounter intervals where errors are detected and are repaired.

Above, I mentioned the problem with attempting to obtain a .txt file summary of the CBS file; I forgot to mention that I also tried simply copying and pasting into the CMD screen the following:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
    as recommended on the Microsoft website. When I entered that command, no .txt file appeared on the desktop; thus, my attempts mentioned above were performed to see whether it made a difference; apparently not. As I mentioned before, any assistance would be appreciated.