New Lounger
    Thanks
    I manage six Windows 7 Home Premium computers at home for me and my family. For some reason, only one of them has this problem: Every month or two, it complains that the logon password is about to expire. Then when it actually does expire the user is forced to change it. Quite an annoyance.

Googling, I found that I need to set the password policy with the security policy editor, secpol.msc. But this applet is not on the machine. Furthur Googling tells me that it isn't supplied with Home Premium.

So, how can I change the password policy? Can I do it by editing the registry?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. I did what your link suggested and in about a month I'll know for sure if it worked. I won't jinx it by saying how confident I am that my problem is gone.

For reference, this is how to change the Windows 7 logon password to never expire, in condensed version:

1. Open an elevated command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator")
    2. Type "net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited" (without quotes) and hit the enter key
    3. The command will return "The command completed successfully" and you can close the command prompt window