Thread: Freeze

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My Windows 7 32-bit desktop system started freezing last night after I installed the drivers and applications for my new Zune. This is not caused by Sleep Mode; it happens less than ten minutes after rebooting. I tried a System Restore but my system froze during it. This morning I booted from the DVD and did the System Restore. That did not help. I would suspect a hardware problem except that my system works fine in Safe Mode.

Does anyone know of anything that might be causing this? My system won't stay up long enough for me to do much in the way of diagnostics. Right now I'm in Safe Mode donig a full virus scan.

Thanks
    Hi Bob,

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and uninstalling the Zune and all applications you installed just before the problem started? Try Revo Free Uninstaller to eliminate all traces of the Zune install. You can get the download here .
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Bob,

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and uninstalling the Zune and all applications you installed just before the problem started? Try Revo Free Uninstaller to eliminate all traces of the Zune install. You can get the download here .
    That's going to be my next step after my AV scan completes and my RAID finishes verification.

FWIW, I installed the Zune on my laptop first. That's Win 7-64 and the Zune software was a different download for 64-bit. I suppose there could be a bug in just the 32-bit version. I would have thought the System Restore would have cleaned the drivers up. We'll see.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Juch View Post
    That's going to be my next step after my AV scan completes and my RAID finishes verification.

FWIW, I installed the Zune on my laptop first. That's Win 7-64 and the Zune software was a different download for 64-bit. I suppose there could be a bug in just the 32-bit version. I would have thought the System Restore would have cleaned the drivers up. We'll see.
    Everything seems to be good now. I violated my rule of not making two changes at once and uninstalled and cleaned up the Zune software after I verified my RAID and ran a CHKDSK, so I don't know what the fix was. I didn't want to have to wait another three hours for the RAID verify if it froze again.

If I feel reckless I'll install the Zune software again over the weekend. I want it on my desktop.