New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've done a lot of searching, and come up dry. I want a place to backup files online, at an established site. I presently use Microsoft Live (SkyDrive) which will allow 25 GB of storage, which should do me fine.

But Microsoft Live doesn't allow you to upload folders with files in them. You can only upload files, which makes it a very slow and tedious process. Additionally, to delete files, you have to click on each file name one-at-time to go to it's page, which requires a round trip to their server. Then you delete that one file which requires another round trip to the server. This has to be done for each file. So this site is not practical for online storage.

Does anyone know of a site that is usable? I don't want to use some unknown site from some unknown company. I'd like to be able to use a well-known established company.

Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you basically like SkyDrive, you ought to check out Products | SDExplorer. It is a Windows Explorer addon to help access and manage SkyDrive data.

Joe

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Joe! I never heard of this and will check it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

UPDATE:
    I installed SDExplorer free version to see if it works. I cannot find the executable to start the program, only for opening the readme and uninstalling. I use Win 7 64 bit, which may be a problem. I wrote to the company to see if they are aware of this issue, and I hope they respond.

If I can get it to work, it looks like it is exactly what I need.

UPDATE 2:
    After looking around their site I decided to check their screenshots. Their readme file leads you down the wrong path, as there is no listing in "My Computer" or in the list of programs. However, the screenshot showed that SDExplorer is listed in the Windows Explorer (file mgr) where your drives are listed.

I started it and it showed the login screen, but it is generating a COM error and will not sign me in. The program then crashes. I'm continuing to attempt to get this to work. At this point I don't know if the company will respond to my queries on this problem; most don't. I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE 3:
    After the login program crashed and I wrote "UPDATE2" above, I looked over at the Windows Explorer and saw the directories I'd already set up on Windows SkyDrive! So I tried looking around and saw all my folders and files listed just as I would see in any Windows Explorer folder. Wonderful!

I've been experimenting with uploading, downloading and viewing files, with success. I am still a bit nervous with the login issue, as I hope it will continue to work in the future. I will update with any new issues or successes.

If this program works properly, I want to purchase it, as I like to support companies that make useful software. When I looked at purchasing it on their web site (to see the price), it showed only their pricing in their country's currency, not mine. So I'll have to figure out how to pay them. lol.

Thanks
    There is also CARBONITE, Leo Laporte recommends it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked out Carbonite and I don't feel that comfortable using their service, since it is unknown to me.

I'm sure it's a fine service, but it is just me.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention though!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Smith View Post
    UPDATE 3:
    After the login program crashed and I wrote "UPDATE2" above, I looked over at the Windows Explorer and saw the directories I'd already set up on Windows SkyDrive! So I tried looking around and saw all my folders and files listed just as I would see in any Windows Explorer folder. Wonderful!

I've been experimenting with uploading, downloading and viewing files, with success. I am still a bit nervous with the login issue, as I hope it will continue to work in the future. I will update with any new issues or successes.

If this program works properly, I want to purchase it, as I like to support companies that make useful software. When I looked at purchasing it on their web site (to see the price), it showed only their pricing in their country's currency, not mine. So I'll have to figure out how to pay them. lol.
    I can't help you with the login issue. I'm running Win7 64-bit and have never had a problem with the login.

As far as payment goes, see Investing: Currency Converter - MSN Money for a way to calculate it for you.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Joe, I will do that. You have been great!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I am a little curious to know if you cannot upload all of your files in a single compressed file, for better or for worse. That may not suit one user's purposes, but it would probably be good enough for mine. I look to the clouds as places to plant once-in-a-while bundles of goodies, rather than as a continual to-and-fro.

I might also state the obvious, which is that it might behoove Microsoft to pay a sufficient sum to acquire the rights to the technology discussed if it would significantly enhance the utility of the cloud to Microsoft's users, provided it is in the long run affordable to said users and profitable to Microsoft (in terms of value added).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I just installed Skydrive on my 64bit Vista machine and had the same experience as Phil.

Com error when I try to connect, but then it seems to work OK.
    Regards
    John

Thanks
    A Little late to the party here but

Joe you have posted some great software finds, and I like Phil have found that uploading files to SkyDrive painful.
    This is awesome
    At first it didn't work, but that was caused by a case of OHS (operator head space). I forgot that I had two accounts, and was signed into the wrong account.
    I am going to go for the full monty though and use the pay version.

thanks
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    LOL! I didn't know there was a pay option!

I find uploading multiple files is quite slow. I don't know if paid version would help. I'll look into it.

Thanks
    Don't know if that will be any faster with the paid version. The reason I went with the paid version was because with that version I can mark the folders shared or not, plus I noticed that with the free version I was unable to view a picture and with the pro version I clicked on a picture and it opened.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)