New Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I gain access to folders like Documents and Settings, Application Data, Local Settings ….?
    I am told “Location is not available”, Access is denied”. Vague proposals in forums relative to security settings, and equally vague explanations as to why this is happening in Windows 7, have not resulted in my gaining access. Do I need to gain access? In XP I could follow installation instruction for software plug ins, for instance, requiring access to folders now blocked. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar Neuhold View Post
    How do I gain access to folders like Documents and Settings, Application Data, Local Settings ….?
    I am told “Location is not available”, Access is denied”. Vague proposals in forums relative to security settings, and equally vague explanations as to why this is happening in Windows 7, have not resulted in my gaining access. Do I need to gain access? In XP I could follow installation instruction for software plug ins, for instance, requiring access to folders now blocked. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Hi Oscar and welcome

The documents and sttings, Application data, local settings,etc are meely pointers for legacy applications. you should not need to do anything to them. It is designed that way so as a precaution. Should you really need to get into those folders (and I dont recommend it) you will need to take ownership of the folder as Administrator. right click folder>properties>security> add your name to the appropriate group.

Lete us know if you need help with that, but unless specifically needed I would stay way from them and leave them the way they are

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Thanks
    I understand that MS has taken it upon themselves in Windows 7 to protect the "system admin" with regard to permissions.
    ...And not a bad idea too when you think about it

I've needed to get in there to access the "send to" folder on occasion, and this is how I did it;
    First unhide all folders and files.
    Go to the "properties>>security" of whatever folder you want access to. Go to "edit", remove "everyone" from the list.

I'm quite sure there is another way of doing this, and someone may post it, but this one works 100% for me.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't add anything to the explanation of what is happening but I was having trouble installing Photoshop under Win 7 and their support recommended I go through some complex steps to unlock a file/folder or use a free utility called "Unlocker" that is readily available from your favourite download site. Here is what CNET has to say about it.

This single-function system utility removes a file's access restrictions, but lacks some common features. Unlocker is unobtrusive: it resides in the system tray; an Unlocker command appears in files' right-click menus.

The application removes file-access restrictions that prevent a user from moving, deleting, or renaming a file. The user right-clicks on a file and selects Unlocker, which displays information regarding the selected file, such as Path Locked, PID, Handle, and Process Path. This program also allows terminating a currently running process. In some cases, files cannot be accessed due to Windows file-access bugs, for which Windows informs the user the file is currently in use--even when it's not.

Unlocker can effectively bypass this bug's restrictions; it unlocks or disables whatever is preventing the user to access that file. This tool would be a lot easier to use if it allowed hot keys. Novices to advanced users will find this free application very useful.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In order to gain full control of most files, google "grant admin full control.reg" and download same. Double click it to place it in registry. You can then right click on folders and files and there will be an option to "grant admin full control". Click on it. To gain control of hidden files, type in "folder options" in search option, click on it and "view" and scroll down and click on "show hidden files". Then find folder that contains files you want to control, and right click and select the "grant..." option. You can later go back to folder options and hide the hidden files.

This was fastest and easiest way I found to eliminate most control problems. I did this with all folders on my computer. In this way I was able to organize and set up my start menu in Windows 7 the way I wanted it to look.

Thanks
    ...Thanks for the info...
    Found this on "The Elder Geek > Windows Operating System Forums > Windows 7 - All Editions"
    by Travelingman: Jan 21 2010, 03:46 PM

Not sure if this has been posted before.Little reg entry i came across to add "Grant Administrator Full Control" to the context menu when right clicking on a file.Works on Windows 7 64 bit with no issues.Just right click on the file you want to take ownership of and click on the Grant Admin Full Control text.
    Copy and past the whole text to notepad and save as GrantAdminFullControl.reg
    Double click to set the entries.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Grant Admin Full Control"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas2]
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas2\command]
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

To undo same procedure only name this one RemoveGrantAdminFullControl.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas2]
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas2\command]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I understand that MS has taken it upon themselves in Windows 7 to protect the "system admin" with regard to permissions.
    ...And not a bad idea too when you think about it

I've needed to get in there to access the "send to" folder on occasion, and this is how I did it;
    First unhide all folders and files.
    Go to the "properties>>security" of whatever folder you want access to. Go to "edit", remove "everyone" from the list.

I'm quite sure there is another way of doing this, and someone may post it, but this one works 100% for me.
    Thanks 'CLiNT', this did the trick!

Oskar

New Lounger
    Thanks
    HI - This seems to be the most appropriate place for this, and I can't see it having been asked before. Perhaps that's because I'm being dumb and missing something I should have known.

I have a similar problem to Oskar, but I can't get into My Pictures, My Videos or My Music - hardly system folders. They all show as shortcuts from the My Documents folder, which seems a bit odd, but clicking on them gives the "access denied" message. The pictures and music libraries will open from the start menu. W7-64 was preinstalled on my Acer laptop, and as it's a work machine I don't miss these folders too much, but it's causing my backup software to throw up errors.

Should I just delete the shortcuts?

Cheers
    Leigh

Thanks
    It looks like they are short cuts, or hard links. But I'd try to locate your "real" files prior to deleting them in any event.
    Use "search" to locate some file names you know are in your "My Pictures, My Videos or My Music" folders, and see if alternate
    locations come up.

See here too
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    On a Windows 7 machine, you have NO need in getting to this area, You need to go to the "Users" folder instead.

The "Hidden Document and Settings" folder is for system use ONLY. This will allow that older programs to were set up use this folder area, to be redirected to the Users folder. The changing of the access permissions on the "Documents and Setting" folder can really screw up a machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    It looks like they are short cuts, or hard links. But I'd try to locate your "real" files prior to deleting them in any event.
    Use "search" to locate some file names you know are in your "My Pictures, My Videos or My Music" folders, and see if alternate
    locations come up.

I can't save anything to them, either. Am I missing something, here? Is it that these folders don't actually exist, but Windows is playing some game for compatabiity reasons?
    The only reason I care is that Handy Backup flags up an error because it can't read them. If I habitually ignore its errors because I think it's this, I may miss another problem. If it's something I have to live with I won't lose much sleep.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They are legacy folders for compatibility for older programs. You have no need to access them. There are new folders, created by Windows, for current use. Just ignore them. I would have preferred if Windows 7 just hid them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Willows View Post
    I can't save anything to them, either. Am I missing something, here? Is it that these folders don't actually exist, but Windows is playing some game for compatabiity reasons?
    The only reason I care is that Handy Backup flags up an error because it can't read them. If I habitually ignore its errors because I think it's this, I may miss another problem. If it's something I have to live with I won't lose much sleep.
    The items that are listed under "My Documents" are just shortcuts designated to be protected operating system files. They are there only for old programs that do not know about the newer structure with Windows 7. The acutal folders are located in the C:\Users\username\ path. If your backup software is failing you either need to reconfigure it for the correct path or maybe the vendor has a version that is compatible with the Windows 7 structure.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Willows View Post
    Some process has a hold on your folders...
    If you can delete them either within running windows or safemode, the os will re-create them, possibly resolving the
    current issue you are having. Another thing to try is to right click and "restore default". Try it from explorer.
    If they do get deleted, do a full reboot and verify that they have been re-created.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build: