New Lounger
    Thanks
    Over the years, I've stored photo files on half a dozen computers and/or external hard drives. In the course of backups and moving from one computer to the other, I've duplicated a lot of the files unnecessarily. The dupes are scattered through a number of folders on different machines on my home network. Even the filenames are different sometimes. What I need is some software that can prowl through all my image files, grouping them by content similarity, so I can see at a glance where all the copies are and delete the unneeded dupes. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Jim

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would use Google's Picasa which is a free download.

This link gives you some tips on how to do it with Picasa
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/...e10a1ad6&hl=en
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jim. I have just the solution for you: VisiPics. It may even have come from a link in WS at some point. I know I read it in a newsletter and tried and found that it works great, handles most image formats (including RAW) and it's free! You can get it at http://www.visipics.info

It's not fancy -- no 3d buttons or glowing animated widgets, just a very practical and quick utility to find duplicates by matching the image content not file names, dates or sizes.

You will want to read the help, especially the tutorial before you start (note: the 12 bullet point tutorial doesn't mention the move option).

You will want to look carefully at the matches, especially if you took a number of pictures sequentially as they may be similar enough to look like duplicates to the program (which means you need to adjust the filter setting).

Having amassed a ton of, shall we say, favorite pictures from BBSs, newsgroups and now the net (I've been on line a long time) I have been extremely impressed with this program's ability to identify duplicates, thus freeing up disk space for ever-expanding, never-ending application updates.

Oh, and I run it on a Windows 2000 machine, too.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the suggestion, Lee. I downloaded VisiPics yesterday and put it to work. It's exactly what I was looking for. It works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Newell View Post
    Hi Jim. I have just the solution for you: VisiPics.