Lounger
    Thanks
    I have learned about the custom format "@*." to fill a cell with dot leaders. It works fine when there is only one line of text. It is not working when the cell wraps to more than one line.

Unfortunately, this is for an invoice with multi-line descriptions.

Any ideas why it is not working? I've attached a sample.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Two thoughts here.
    1) You might be able to get where you want to go (sort of) by inserting a cell with dot leaders.
    2) Why are you doing this in Excel? Text formatting in Excel is primitive compared to Word.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Catharine. Thanks for the reply.

I'm doing it in Excel because the primary function of the document is to do math. It's an invoice summary. Each month will not have the same line items, and it's easier to teach someone how to delete/insert rows in Excel without disturbing the formula than it is to teach them how to do it in Word and not mess up the formula. The final template will be used by a secretary and an attorney, so it has to be ... [s]foolproof [/s] ... er ... easy to work with.

I've already shared with them that advanced text formatting in Excel is not possible when they asked for first line indent. I did consider putting the dots in their own column, but they want the dots flush against the last word of the description.

You are right, though, if I were personally having to prepare these each month I would keep it in Word and just use a 10-key to figure the total.

Quote Originally Posted by Catharine Richardson - WebGenii View Post
    Two thoughts here.
    1) You might be able to get where you want to go (sort of) by inserting a cell with dot leaders.
    2) Why are you doing this in Excel? Text formatting in Excel is primitive compared to Word.

Thanks
    Custom formats do not allow "wrapping". You will get the string of #s whenever the custom format does not fit into the width of the cell

Steve