Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,
    I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit and Windows 7, installed on a second drive. All updates have been applied and the system has no known viruses per my antivirus program and anti-spyware programs. I mainly boot into Vista.
    It seems that System Restore points are created as normal checkpoints and when there are Windows updates are applied. If I check System Restore the next day, all the restore points are gone. I am using only about 2 3rds of the hard drive space and I have 4 GB of Ram. I heard that a dual boot can cause this if one is using XP and Vista and that there are workarounds for this if you edit the Registry. Since I don't have XP, I am not willing to play around in the Registry using the same hacks. I also have heard that Ccleaner can cause this and I have removed that program and it still happens. Keep in mind that restore points are created when installing updates and as normal checkpoints, but disappear the next day when I turn the system back on. Can someone help me with this? Thanks!
    I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum...my first time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am having a similar issue.
    Win 7 pro with virtual xp.

Research has shown that the missing restore points is an issue with dualboot xp and vista/win7, because xp does not fully understand the vista/win7 file formats,
    or something similar.

I dont have xp as a dualboot, only as a virtual machine.
    However, my win7 restore points dissappear all the time, for no apparent reason.
    I finally got restore points when I increased the restore point storage area to 50gb, but they still vanished later.

I thought it was the virtual xp, but I have not run a virtual xp app for some time,and still the restore points vanish.

Originally I had xp on this laptop,and use Laplink to transfer/upgrade to win7,which bombed, so I reinstalled win7
    from scratch.

Hopefully this info could jog someones memory, so they can give pointers on a fix.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does this Microsoft support article help?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/926185

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem in Vista Home Premium.
    My machine went into reboot hell after installing service pack 2.
    I thought I could fix it with system restore, but lo and behold all my restore points were gone.
    I wasn't running a dual boot configuration.
    I fixed it by installing Win 7 evaluation.
    A few weeks ago while running Win 7 I got a BSOD (bad memory module). I checked out my restore points and guess what, there were none. I took out the bad memory and this solved it
    What's the point in having system restore when it can't find the restore points?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    And I thought I was alone! Vista w/all updates etc. Strangely, sometimes if I go to manually create a restore point I am informed? that the operation is not supported! Whew. Any advice welcome.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow

Hi Guys,

I've been caught out by similar issues with Windows restore points. Here's what was happening in my situation:

1) When Windows restore detects that any drive / partition it is monitoring becomes close to full it will delete all restore points (regardless of which drive / partition is full). This appears to be a "by design feature".

2) The OS has the ability to reset which drives / partitions system restore monitors to default i.e. all! Now I cannot definitively say in which situation this applies but my best guess is after certain Windows Updates system restore monitoring is "reset" whatever the cause the bottom line is that the system may be monitoring drives / partitions which you have explicitly told it not to! This can then give rise to the issue in point1.

3) As Carmi M alluded to in the MSKB article mixing Vista / W7 restore points and XP is problematic and should probably be avoided as the workarounds a reless than elegant,

Hope this helps

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for the replies. It seems that I might have been able to find a solution at this site: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspacev.html
    I do not dual boot Vista and XP, but I have Windows 7 on a separate drive. Using the above solution has enabled me to retain more restore points...at least for 6 days. I will experiment with the settings to see if I can extend that period. I do recall seeing another site where you use the command line to adjust restore points, but i can't seem to find it. Will keep on looking. For those who dual boot Windows 7 with XP, the above site seems to offer suggestions.

Lounger
    Thanks
    CCleaner can only do that if you check "Wipe Free Space."

Using Eraser to wipe "Unused disk space" will also delete your restore points.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Several years ago I was using Windows XP and my system became infected with a virus—whose name I can no longer remember. Among the many nasty things this virus did was to turn off system restore. During my attempts at fixing the system I learned that once system restore is turned off all restore points are deleted—a rather silly feature, but this is Windows.

I had another problem recently [running Windows Vista Home] after installing a new program, and discovered to my dismay that all of my system restore points had again been deleted. But, fortunately, I have been using Registry First Aid, a registry cleaner which creates its own registry backups and stores them in a different place. I was able to select one of RFA's backups and successfully restored the system to a functioning state. Before posting this, I checked my system restore points and found that they only went back four days, while the backups saved by Registry First Aid go back as far as December of 2008. I don't know if other registry cleaners do the same thing, but if you're using one, perhaps it offers this feature and you'll be able to replace the missing system restore points this way.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a thought ... I am wondering if the problem on these multi-OS systems, is that each OS is trying to maintain restore points on all the drives and there is some conflict.

For example, I have 2 physical drives, one with Win7 and one for XP, each partitioned into 4 drives (OS, programs, data, archives). By default, my Win7 System Protection was set to monitor all drives. There is no need for one OS to maintain a drive it doesn't use, so I turned off monitoring on the drives not used by the OS. I also turned it off for data and archive drives, since a restore point takes up space and is of no value except for the OS and programs.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This doesn't answer the question of why restore points go missing, but it's a VBS script that will create a daily restore point if you place it in the startup folder:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/createrp.htm

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down

I installed Win7 from XP. As you know, that results in a clean install. Sometime after installation, I noted I had no restore points. There was an entry in the event viewer concerning the failure of "shadow copies" but no other clues, anywhere. I could manually create a restore point and restore points were created by (some) installers but after a reboot, they were all gone.

After looking everywhere on the 'Net and going through every reference in MS's Knowledge Base and pouring through TechNotes I finally gave up: I sent an e-mail to MS support. After several exchanges which all covered ground I had already covered, I sent a message of extreme frustration... and, I received a telephone call from MS Tech Support!

I judged the rep was pretty knowledgeable, she really knew her stuff and that was obvious. She stepped me through a "re-installation" of Win7 which left everything totally intact... and restore points and shadow copy worked correctly. (Side note: The re-install took about an hour. The rep said she would call back after the Win7 installer finished. Just as Windows came up after its final reboot, the phone rang... it was the rep. Awesome!)

Here's the payoff: As you might imagine, the rep was 100% a Softie. But, she intimated this is a known problem with a clean install done as an upgrade from XP. What she said was that this "happens occasionally" and apparently is associated with how Windows.Old is created during the clean install.

If you upgraded from XP, the above might be a clue for you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron VanAbrahams View Post
    She stepped me through a "re-installation" of Win7 which left everything totally intact... and restore points and shadow copy worked correctly. (Side note: The re-install took about an hour. The rep said she would call back after the Win7 installer finished. Just as Windows came up after its final reboot, the phone rang... it was the rep. Awesome!)

Here's the payoff: As you might imagine, the rep was 100% a Softie. But, she intimated this is a known problem with a clean install done as an upgrade from XP. What she said was that this "happens occasionally" and apparently is associated with how Windows.Old is created during the clean install.

If you upgraded from XP, the above might be a clue for you.
    I have the exact same problem. Can you share how to do this re-install? I mean, I might not get the same rep when I call and you said you hit a lot of dead ends before you got in touch with her; I'd like to avoid that part.

TIA

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem in VHP and contacted microsoft support who attempted to work with me to solve the problem....
    We could never gather the data they required because it voluminous trying to track the restore point process which essentially is the volume shadow copy service.
    We could never track down when or under what circumstances restore points would stay or get deleted. Usually they were deleted after reboot.
    Eventually I solved the problem by getting a bigger HDD. Once there was alot more than 1/3 the volume free space remaining all the restore points ever created either manually or automatically never got deleted....
    MORAL of the story: whatever your HDD size, there may not be enought shadow storage space to keep/create the restore points
    Here are some steps to follow which may help everyone....
    1. use the VSS command line admin tool to see how much shadow storage space is set
    vssadmin list shadowstorage
    you will get output like this example:
    Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 491.223 MB
    Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 700 MB
    Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 961.822 MB
    2. try resizing the amount of VSS storage space using the command line tool
    vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=10GB
    relisting the VSS space after this command should show something like this:
    Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 491.723 MB
    Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 700 MB
    Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 10 GB

The example above resets the amount of VSS/shadow storage/restore point space to 10G from 961mb
    3. reboot and check VSS space...it should remain at the new max storage size you've set....
    perhaps this will solve your problem...IF NOT, try making MORE space available on your HDD by deleting unnecessary files

Also...VHP unlike Vista Ultimate doesn't support shadowcopy view and restore functions...you might want to go here and install shadowexplorer Shadow Explorer

Good Luck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i use erunt and it saves a registry restore point every time i startup my computer and it puts them in windows folder and it works with all windows versions. have use it two or three times. it works fine and it does not delete them if you want you can delete them as you don't need them anymore and it is easier than windows restore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast