New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Word doc that has been put together by cutting and pasting from scraps of other Word docs from 2007 and 2003 etc. and it is acting very flaky. Printing it yielded many interesting results: too many pages, sections missing, and deleted sections showing up. However, the most frustrating thing is that I cannot find any text in the document. ctrl+f, enter some text and the answer is always "Word has finished searching the document. The search item was not found." I'm afraid that the document is corrupted and may completely fall apart on me. How can I get it back to a stable state?

Thanks,

Mike

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What do you get if you do a Select All, Cut, Paste Special (as text only)?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It does sound like the document has gotten corrupted.

One question: does this document contain tracked change edits? - that might account for deleted sections turning up.

The best thing to do is to start clean by doing a Select All > Copy > Paste Special - text only (as Andrew suggests) and pasting this into a new blank document. Then reapply formatting and styles as needed.

Gary

[Edit: Should have mentioned Open and Repair as something to try, prior to taking the work-intensive step of reformatting.]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW, the doc also has pieces that were created on Word for Mac as well so add that to the mix. It is saved in 2003 format and the customer having problem printing it is using 2003 and I bounce between 2003 and 2007 on Windows when editing depending on where I am.

The doc does have a lot of tracked changes in it. After opening and saving a few more times, I can search in it once again. Actually, I think the search function stopped working after I made a PDF version of it (that took a looong time) so maybe exiting and restarting after that was the cure.

Cutting and pasting as text looks like everything is there but unfortunately it is 132 pages with two dozen figures, lots of lists and lots of tables so reapplying all the formatting would be very painful.

Open -> Repair in 2007 said that it cleaned up some styles but that was it. The cleaned up doc was identical to the original except for the several styles (some indents were adjusted was all I could discern).

Interestingly, if I cut and paste everything to a clean doc, it is two pages shorter but I can't say if it is any more stable at this point.

I think I'll proceed with the repaired version and see if I can avoid the reformatting option - I have lots of backups.

Thanks,

Mike