New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Windows XP using the classic folders view, when one clicked on 'My Network Places' they could click on 'Entire Network', then 'Microsoft Windows Networking', and then they would usually see all the workgroups/domains that the computer might be able to reach. This was very handy in large IT environments that could have thousands of reachable computers distributed amongst many different workgroups/domains. You could select your workgroup/domain and then only see the resources contained within.

With Wiindows 7 Pro, double clicking on the 'Network' icon brings up a window that begins to populate with all reachable computers in all reachable workgroups/domains. This is infuriating when one only needs to access resources in a single workgroup/domain.

Does anyone know how to get the Windows XP functionality back?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know but I agree with you, I like how XP handles networking much better. 7 is like using a big old snow plow truck to clear a 50 ft. driveway.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Even XP was a mess in my corporate environment - searching through Network Places was futile. What I ended up doing was using Assign Network Drives to create shortcuts under Network Places to those shares I wanted to get at. I did not assign to a drive letter, but rather clicked the "Connect to a web site" link (or whatever it said in XP, I can't recall, this text is from 7), then choose to specify a network location, then either browsed for the share, or entered the UNC name (\\hostname\sharename) in the location box. The result was my 20 or so network locations easily available, not hunting for anything.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep, XP does a much better job. With each new version of Microsoft software (WIndows, Office, their programming products, etc..) they seem to continue to dumb things down to help the novice while completely ignoring the needs of the professional. I'm a computer consultant who must plug into complex networks on a regular basis and this new functionality is a real hindrance. I have a customer with nearly 50 workgroups/domains on their network. I have no need to access the one containing hundreds of computers, and I always avoid navigating into it. With Win 7 I don't have that luxury any more.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The result was my 20 or so network locations easily available, not hunting for anything.
    In a simplified environment, say workgroup computers are less than 30 or so, its even quicker just to make a customized toolbar with a shorcut to computer. I have approximately 220 shared locations that I can get to in just a few seconds.

So what I'm wondering is if one could step it up one more level and get each workgroup/domain shortcut into a taskbar toolbar. At present I don't know how to do that since as has been mentioned 7 doesn't seem to list those anywhere to make shortcuts from.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was thinking the same thing, but also can't seem to find that higher level. That was what prompted my initial post. I'm hoping someone out there knows the answer!