Thread: MAC Address

Thanks
    How do I find my laptop MAC address to add to Access Control in my Netgear Router DG834Gv5
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

If you use Windows 7 or Vista go to the command prompt (cmd) and enter the command Getmac.exe and the MAC will come up. It is also called the physical address. You will see physical addresses for all network adapters in you computer, whether Ethernet, wireless, or Bluetooth. The active one is the one currently in use.

If you use XP, go to My Network Places>View network connections>right click on your active network connection>select status>click the Support tab>click Details button.
    The physical address (MAC) will be the first in the list.

If you want to install Getmac in XP Home run the setup program from the \Support\Tools folder on the Win XP installation CD. It might already be installed on Win XP Pro 32 bit; I know it is on Win XP Pro 64 bit. When I run it on my 64 bit XP Pro, it only give me the Ethernet MAC.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    You do not say what version of windows, but in win 7 and Vista:
    run cmd
    type in ipconfig /all or getmac and it should locate both commands and the window will remain open
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There is no point in adding MAC control or hiding the SSID - it only takes 30 minutes to defeat.
    Turn on WPA2 and get a really strong password from GRC or generate one in KeePass. You will have fewer connection problems.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanks to All for your advice. I forgot to say I was running Vista Home Premium. I am using WPA2-PSK with SSID hidden and wanted to use 'Access Control' also.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Your router will show all connected devices and their MAC addresses, or ipconfig /all in a Command Prompt. Still a waste of time though.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Your router will show all connected devices and their MAC addresses, or ipconfig /all in a Command Prompt. Still a waste of time though.
    Ah, but hiding the SSID and specifying MAC addresses in the router gives the appearance of increasing the security, which gives a nice, warm feeling.

A better idea would be to make the SSID unidentifiable (mine is named Go Away! ), rather than specifying The Scroggins Family or 33 Acacia Avenue...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The bad guys know that appearances are deceptive, so why bother?
    Generic SSID is always a good idea.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I think that the reason for changing the SSID is only to make it easier for the owner to correctly connect wirelessly. As previously stated I'm using WPA2-PSK,GRC generated Password, my own SSID. and Access Control OFF. If broadcast of SSID is OFF it still shows on my Laptop

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Still a waste of time though.

cheers, Paul
    Really? If I layer in more levels of authentication to make some unidentifiable person sit near enough to my house for 30 minutes to try and hack into my router, then I'll have a good reason to call a cop and have it checked out (yes, I know this is not a perfect scenario for those who live in apartments and condos. But one can always keep tabs on other wireless activity nearby). This is not unlike locking your car doors, and making sure there is nothing visible, while still hiding something of value somewhere in the vehicle. The vast majority of thieves will move on because there's too much work involved without any guarantee of payoff. Or perhaps like using more than one lock on the doors in your house. Of course it isn't all that hard for a bad guy to defeat a deadbolt lock either, but we use them because at some point we're forcing a thief of attracting attention to themselves. I'm assuming you don't lock your house or car though since its pretty easy to defeat?

I don't disagree that locks are for keeping honest people honest. If someone really wants in, they'll find a way. But why would I make it easy for them? MAC address filtering while a rudimentary form of security provides another layer that someone has to spend time defeating. With all the other unsecured networks out there they'll just move on. These days its not about the challenge anymore, but about stealing data that can be sold off or used to directly steal your money.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Ah, but hiding the SSID and specifying MAC addresses in the router gives the appearance of increasing the security, which gives a nice, warm feeling.

A better idea would be to make the SSID unidentifiable (mine is named Go Away! ), rather than specifying The Scroggins Family or 33 Acacia Avenue...
    I always have to laugh at the people who name thier router with thier family name, or worse, address / apt #. Talk about an open invitation. Also, to those who suggested the getmac command, thanx, didn't know about that one. I've always used the ipconfig /all. Personally, I use PSK2 for my wireless, and don't use the mac filtering, but I have used it in the past. I do have a second router connected that I use WEP and mac filtering for my son's GameBoy Advance (or old DS, don't remember which) that only supports WEP. I only turn the wireless on when he needs it, otherwise I just use it as wired extender for my network. (1GB ethernet for streaming movies/music from my PC to my PS3 or networked BluRay player).

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    MAC address filtering while a rudimentary form of security provides another layer that someone has to spend time defeating.
    If you use WPA2 PSK with a good 63 bit key your system is effectively un-hackable from the wireless. SSID hiding and MAC filtering are therefore completely unnecessary.

cheers, Paul