Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Hello all,
    Here is the problem and the question. Currently i have and use two hard drives , both are Vista Home Premium "Vista-0" ( no SP's or updates) My main drive and a experimental drive(both drive letter C which i switch back and forth as i "play" with the "OS" , Also a D: drive for data. I want to "dual boot" these "C:" drives so i don't have to mess with cables, etc. I was planning on using Easy BCD to handle the "boot function", but here's the problem ...... How do you change the C: drive to something else? so that you can choose between them at boot time? X:, Y: , Z: , etc Windows wont let you change the drive letter, neither will Easeus partition master. So far all that i have accomplished was to "trash" my main drive Wouldn't boot, and couldn't use Acronis( MB3 error) ended up having to clone my experimental drive then restore from a previous backup. Any suggestions? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need the 2 drives set up like this.
    Drive 1 = 2 partitions, both primary, half the disk each.
    Drive 2 = 1 primary partition, data (D

Install Vista on drive 1 partition 1.
    Install Vista on drive 1 partition 2.

You should now be able to boot either version and both will access drive 2 as D:.

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    You need the 2 drives set up like this.
    Drive 1 = 2 partitions, both primary, half the disk each.
    Drive 2 = 1 primary partition, data (D

Install Vista on drive 1 partition 1.
    Install Vista on drive 1 partition 2.

You should now be able to boot either version and both will access drive 2 as D:.

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    Hello thank you for you help. i guess that i didn't make myself clear in my post,or I'm not understanding your reply. let me give more detail . I have 3 separate hard drives(internally mounted) two are C: and the 3rd is D: data.I want to run the both "C:" drives independently(one at a time) changing the experimental drives "C:" to something else (X:, Y:, Z, so Easy BCD will give me a choice at boot time, my experimental drive or my "normal" "OS" . I do not want both "OS's" on the same drive Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Missed the bit about 3 drives.

Just install on drive 1, then install on drive 2. Vista will manage the correct boot arrangement.
    Set drive 3 to be D: in Vista using Disk Manager (Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc)

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Missed the bit about 3 drives.

Just install on drive 1, then install on drive 2. Vista will manage the correct boot arrangement.
    Set drive 3 to be D: in Vista using Disk Manager (Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc)

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    Just wanted to update on my results..... I installed the three drives one at a time ( re-starting each time) plus my two DVD/CdRW"s and the system would always "boot" to the first drive , although it "sees " all that is connected. If when booting i "hit "Esc" (to select boot menu) i can there select either hard drive to boot to. Don't know why i don't get a "splash screen" ?(to let me choose without "Esc") Easy BCD doesn't seem to work either .... maybe that it can't boot two Hard disks of the same "OS"? Seems if you want Vista / XP is ok or Vista / Linux.. but for now Vista / Vista is a no go . Do you have any knowledge about (i think its called) vista boot pro? Thanks for your help Regards Fred
    PlainFred

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should not need to boot by using the BIOS (pressing Esc). Vista should offer you 2 versions if you did a straight install - I suspect you did the BIOS boot thing to install the second copy?

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    You should not need to boot by using the BIOS (pressing Esc). Vista should offer you 2 versions if you did a straight install - I suspect you did the BIOS boot thing to install the second copy?

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    Nope! did not do the "bios boot thing" I think that it might have something to do with the Vantec PCI host card that i installed so that i could have more SATA ports to allow for the 3 connected drives? Anyway it makes little difference if i have to "click" "Esc" or "choose" what system... Just happy that i dont have to switch cables anymore. Im fooling with Vista Boot Pro (free) now and will post back if i get anywhere. Regards Fred
    UpDate.... Played around with "VistaBootPro v3.3" (free)and was able to boot two Vista Home Premium "OSs" without any problem. Without it could only boot to default set in "BIOS" although it would "see" both disks (OS) when booted up. Also the Vantec PCI SATA card needs to have at least one of the "bootable disks" plugged into it. Great card if you need a few more "SATA " ports ($30 USD)or want to run a raid setup. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ..interesting reading here..

i have XP still and 2 SATA hard drives..i want XP on both mainly if one disk crashes i can be back in business in seconds..

on the main system i have C: and E: drives

if i unplug the red data cable to C: SATA_0 i thought i could install XP on the other drive but the setup wants to call that (E drive C: and install XP on SATA_0

i want to install on the drive where i choose the letter (E and on SATA_1

this way if a drive fails i still have to get into the pc and switch cables..

can i do what i want without messing with the cables and just do a dual boot?

seems to me i won't still be able to choose E; and SATA_1..

any comments?

don

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by don cross View Post
    ..interesting reading here..

i have XP still and 2 SATA hard drives..i want XP on both mainly if one disk crashes i can be back in business in seconds..

on the main system i have C: and E: drives

if i unplug the red data cable to C: SATA_0 i thought i could install XP on the other drive but the setup wants to call that (E drive C: and install XP on SATA_0

i want to install on the drive where i choose the letter (E and on SATA_1

this way if a drive fails i still have to get into the pc and switch cables..

can i do what i want without messing with the cables and just do a dual boot?

seems to me i won't still be able to choose E; and SATA_1..

any comments?

don
    Don,
    Hello, Man that post was ages ago (for me) as now i am Quad booting with no problems Vista SP-0, Vista SP-1 , Vista SP-2, Linux Helena v-8 Here's the solution at least it was for me . I used NeoSmart Technologieshttp://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 EasyBCD Beta2 ,This is a great free program ! You probably do not need the "beta", i did because of the Linux entry (grub 2 bootloader) This forum has many threads on "how to" run EasyBCD just do a search (EasyBCD). Windows always wants to call the booted OS... C: and will give the other whatever letter is not used or what you have told it ex: If one of your drives is C: and the other is E: .... if you boot into E: Windows will by default call it C: and switch the original C: to E: so .... to keep things straight just add a "Tag" to the drives Like C: XP-1 and E: SP-2 etc. If you need more information post back and i will try to help you in your "dual boot " If you have any questions Regards Fred
    PlainFred

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If your hard disk dies and is not seem by the BIOS, the second drive may not boot anyway - Windows is fussy about exactly how many drives and in what order. Test before relying on it, or buy Acronis for $10.

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    If your hard disk dies and is not seem by the BIOS, the second drive may not boot anyway - Windows is fussy about exactly how many drives and in what order. Test before relying on it, or buy Acronis for $10.

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    I completely agree that you should have "imaging software" but i have rendered my main drive "un boot-able" many times and was always able to boot from the BIOS "boot menu screen"(ESC on my PC) Just selected another boot-able drive in the Que, selected it and hit enter and booted from that HD. With EasyBCD you wouldn't even have to go to the BIOS.... just select the OS that you want from the boot manager screen. Regards Fred
    PlainFred