3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Trying to print only certain pages of a draft of my book, which already is divided into several sections. In Word 2007, I was able to specify a limited print range such as pages 1-2 of section 7 by entering p1s7-p2s7 or some similar combination of pages and sections. In Word 2010, when I try to combine abbreviations for pages and sections (either putting page numbers first or sections first -- such as p1s7 or s7p1), I get an error message: "This is not a valid print range." When I click the Help button, I get an empty help dialog.

Also, trying to figure out how to print only a couple of pages of a given section is an exercise in frustration. In the status bar, page 1 of section 7 shows up as Page 20 of 284. Fine -- I get that. It's the 20th page of the document, even though it's page 1 of the text and page 1 of the seventh section of the book. But when I try to print page 20, it prints the page that has the number 20 in the footer. When I try to print page 1, it prints the first page of the book (the title page). When I try to print only a portion of section 7, I get the entirety of section 7.

Am I missing something obvious here?

The old print dialog, and print options, provided functionality that I understood. I don't understand how to get the new "Print Place" (as Microsoft calls it) to do what I need to do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also... after I attempted to print pages 1 and 2 of section 7, and page 1 of section 7 was displayed in the Print Preview area of the Print Place, when I clicked "Current Page," the printer spit out a completely different page (I believe it printed the page that has the page number 20 in the footer). If a particular page is displayed in Print Preview, shouldn't "Print Current Page" print what's displayed in the preview area??

There must be a simple solution. No?

Jan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a small tip button (an i in a circle) next to the box which allows you to chosse individual pages. It looks like you can choose pages numbered from p1 or sections, but not combine them. Copy attached.

As a work around, how about converting to a pdf and then printing from that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Roger.

I did see the tip box. The problem is that the change between versions represents a huge loss of functionality, especially since (I've tested several times now) Print Current Page doesn't work correctly, either.

It's not satisfactory to me to have to keep converting drafts of the book to PDF while I'm working in order to print selected pages. In a pinch, I'll just pull the draft into Word 2007, where the Print function works properly (and as expected). That's a pain, too, but at least it will let me print the page range I choose -- or the current page.

I've forwarded a couple of "frowns" plus comments to Microsoft, since I think these bugs are show-stoppers. My law firm and government agency clients will not be happy.

Jan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    New wrinkles:

I tested on my mother's little HP last night, and "Current Page" worked as expected on a very simple document. So I thought perhaps the problem was limited to my Dell 2330d printer, which has been my default printer for the past couple of months (my HP Laserjet 4M Plus is broken and I'm not sure if I'm going to get it repaired).

This morning, I did some testing on my Canon Pixma i5000. "Current Page" worked fine on a simple document that wasn't divided into sections. However, when I pulled up the book manuscript and attempted to print "Current Page" (using the same page of the document I tried to print originally -- the one I mentioned in my first post -- I got the same results as before. Wrong page printed (the page with the number 20 in the footer).

I just now tested printing a different page -- the one with the page number 11 in the footer (which is the 43rd physical page of the document and, coincidentally, the first page of section 11). Although that page was displayed in Print Preview, the page with the number 43 in the footer printed instead. (That page is the 75th physical page of the document and the 3rd page of section 17.)

Can anyone provide some insight into what is going on, whether it's a widespread bug or something that has to do with my configuration(s) (I'd appreciate it if others would do some testing with complex documents and post their results here), and if it is a bug, whether it will be fixed in the official release?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I noticed you posting in the Word 2010 beta forum. It is difficult to tell for sure what the Microsoft response immediately preceeding yours is saying. I interpret it to mean there is a buf in Word 2010 and it is likely to be fixed in the final release. If you know anyone in the TAP program who has the Office 2010 RC version perhaps they could check this for you.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Joe,

Yes, I posted there too because someone from Microsoft had indicated back in December of 2009 that they're looking at the page range issue and hoping to have it fixed in the RTM.

I don't know anyone in the TAP program.

I wanted to post again about the "Current Page" issue because that, too, seems to me to be a show-stopper (if in fact it's a bug that others can replicate, as opposed to something in my configuration). It's a different issue, though it does seem to be related -- at least peripherally -- to the page range issue.

It would be helpful to get an update from Microsoft, if only because at the moment I'm at a complete loss about how to discuss printing and the new "Print Place" feature in my Word 2010 book. I'm hoping to publish sooner rather than later, and I need to know if the printing issues I'm experiencing will, in fact, be fixed in the RTM.

Jan

P.S. Incidentally, I just tested in Word 2007, and "Print Current Page" works as expected -- i.e., it prints the page that my cursor is in. So it seems to be a Word 2010 issue, not an issue with either of my printers.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Unfortunately, in the Microsoft beta forums (for all products I've seen) definitive answers about bugs are few and far between. We are left to wonder what Microsoft considers serious enought to fix for RTM or wait until later.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. I'll keep asking... just in case.

I'm also going to continue to test, using a variety of documents. I'm not entirely convinced that the problem isn't isolated to a few documents (different drafts of my books). Still, it's a jarring experience when an everyday function doesn't work as expected (and as it has worked for several versions of the program).

With luck, I'll get it figured out well in advance of the release of the final version of the software.

Jan

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have an answer to your question (yet), but to touch on Office 2010 RTM here is a link to one reported RTM date.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Peter. I saw the announcement about the May 12 release date a day or two after it first appeared (which has shortened my book deadline considerably -- eek!).

Apparently, Microsoft did confirm a while back that the print range issue was a legitimate bug. I'm fairly sure they are working to get it resolved prior to the official release.

As for the other print problems I've been experiencing, I haven't determined whether they are document-specific or the result of an actual bug in the program. Because I'm crunched for time, I'm just copying the latest draft of the book, pasting it into a different computer, and opening it into and printing from Word 2007, which gives me complete control over the print output. (That allows me to continue working on the book in Word 2010 without the hassles involved in going back and forth between the two versions on my primary computer.)

Hoping any remaining print issues are fixed by the time the RTM is released.

Jan