New Lounger
    Garden Grove, CA.
    Thanks for hanging in there for me! .........

My old computer, (a 2002 home built), had major problems, and for now, I went the cheaper route for an upgrade, awaiting upcoming technology. (My tech gives folks full, or near full credit for newish parts he upgrades from, so I intend to go better soon, and was part of the reason for the questions of what had become available.) He even gave me a new case, n/c, as he was tired of seeing, and lugging around my old very large, and very heavy one!

The recently installed motherboard is a Biostar G31-M7, and an Intel (R) Celeron (R) 430 @ 180 GHZ. Do you suggest I go ahead and get a further upgrade, and any suggestions as to what to avoid, and go for would be cool! I would want something that will hopefully not be outdated too soon, and have a good chance of being trouble free for longer. I am not a gamer, but pretty computer addicted, so better would be nice.

North Carolina, USA
    Hi G.,

If you ask ten people what they would suggest for further upgrade, you would likely get ten different answers.

The real question is, does the current hardware configuration allow you to do what you want to do now, and does it give you a little more wiggle room 6 to 12 months from now?
    The truth is almost all of us are using hardware that is already outdated, but it generally does what we need it to do.

If you are planning to buy an new Windows 7 desktop within 12 months, and the hardware you just upgraded does all that you enjoy, then keep it as is. That said, your motherboard supports a wide range of Intel processors including Quad Cores. While XP Pro will support multicore processors, very few applications have been written that will take advantage of multiple cores, and that is a key issue. If you are staying with XP on this machine, and want to use it for another year or so, I personally would compromise and get a Core2Duo processor such as the E7600. It is fast at 3.06 Ghz, but should be a good buy right now. Two GB of ram is very good for XP.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

WS Lounge VIP
    This post keeps an up to date list of combinations to look at for different users. It's specced for Oz users, but the basics are valid everywhere.

cheers, Paul

California & Arizona
    Biostar G31-M7

...And the best upgrade option available to you is;
    Uprade the board with the the very best processor that the board will go with and get a video card if you don't already have one.
    Ditch that weak celeron and go with one of the above and you'll notice a very decent speed difference.
    Add 3 or 4 gigs of some decent DDR 2 memory too, and you should be good to go, for awhile at least.

Your tech guy will probably try to talk you out of 4 gigs of ram, but with this class of memory being as cheap
    as it is you can safely ignore him despite not being able to address all of it.

It may also be noteworthy that your board has a few revisions. You'll need to determine which it is as
    they have differing bios's. The manufactures site will advise on memory compatability, but make sure the bios
    is capable of supporting any new processor you choose.

I use newegg as a shopping comparison and components specifications info guide.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Garden Grove, CA is close to Fry's.
    You can get a great combo deal, motherboard with 4xuP+integrated video ATI 4400 (for AMD uP) and use DDR3 mem, all under $200. Pretty modern, and right up there, I would say.
    Your PC box is out of date. Advice to buy, on sale, a new PC box with power supply (or separately). For non-gamers, 400W to 500W would be good enough. In the future, devices are actually less power hungry. AMD Phenum class uP is quite power efficient and faster still; and it has integrated video in it.
    Advice go 6G (or even 8G) memory and Windows 7 64-bit. The extra memory is for the virtualized OSes. Install virtualization software, such as Virtualbox and VMware. Install XP in Virtualbox and you can continue use XP. That way, don't have to worry about Win7 compatibility problem, and the lack of printer drivers, etc. And even avoid virus infection. Backup and restore is super simple and fast in Virtualbox. Create a backup is called snapshot. Just one mouse click! If the 'XP' is infected, you simply delete the current one and it's auto back to the last snapshot. Your Win7 remains pristine.
    In the future, when Win7 and 64-bit become popular, you are right there and ready, hardware and software wise.