Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Greetings. I recently acquired (thanks to people on the earlier version of this website) a new (used) PC that has a lot more memory than the old one. The same person also gave me a new printer. Both work just fine, but I'm having trouble installing the printer onto the computer. The new printer is an HP Photosmart 7960, the PC uses Windows XP. The printer had no installation disc so I tried installing from the HP website. I keep running into this roadblock: "Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help." I'm assuming the solution is a simple one. I just need to put these two together. Any advice anyone?

    Greythings

  2. #2
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Reseda, California, USA
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Go to control panel, and look for Printers and Faxes (I think).
    Go there, and you should find a generic printer that XP has built in, and a
    place to "add a printer".
    Maybe using this wizard will clear the way?? Good luck

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Forgot to mention the printer connects through a USB port. According to Printers and Faxes, P&F is unnecessary for USB. I tried to add anyway, but it didn't work .

    Quote Originally Posted by rabee View Post
    Go to control panel, and look for Printers and Faxes (I think).
    Go there, and you should find a generic printer that XP has built in, and a
    place to "add a printer".
    Maybe using this wizard will clear the way?? Good luck

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    HP Photosmart 7960 installation instructions

    HP Photosmart 7960 drivers. Select your version of XP (32 bit or 64 bit)
    \m/ ^_^ \m/

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I already have the instructions, I just don't have the disc. I'm trying to install from the HP website. It seems to work until I run into the "Invalid command line argument" roadblock.

    Quote Originally Posted by DPP View Post
    HP Photosmart 7960 installation instructions

    HP Photosmart 7960 drivers. Select your version of XP (32 bit or 64 bit)

  6. #6
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South of the North Pole
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm trying to install from the HP website.
    Just a symantics check here; you are actually downloading the installation software to your system first and then trying to install it correct?

  7. #7
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, I went to the HP website, clicked on Support. I tried both Download Only and Install and both led to the same roadblock.

    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Just a symantics check here; you are actually downloading the installation software to your system first and then trying to install it correct?

  8. #8
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Further research suggests that I should install Windows SDK for Windows 7 (along with various updates) before installing the printer. Besides questioning whether it'll actually work, I'm wondering if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill with possibly unnecessary installs This might point the way towards clearing that "Invalid Command Line Argument" I keep getting but I don't know Anyone have experience with this program?

    Quote Originally Posted by greythings8 View Post
    Yes, I went to the HP website, clicked on Support. I tried both Download Only and Install and both led to the same roadblock.

  9. #9
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,572
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greythings8 View Post
    Further research suggests that I should install Windows SDK for Windows 7 (along with various updates) before installing the printer. Besides questioning whether it'll actually work, I'm wondering if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill with possibly unnecessary installs This might point the way towards clearing that "Invalid Command Line Argument" I keep getting but I don't know Anyone have experience with this program?
    There is NO reason you should have to install an SDK to get OEM software to install properly.

    Have you saved the installation file to your PC before trying to run it?

    Have you double checked that you are downloading the correct version for your OS?

    Joe
    Joe

  10. #10
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The installation file is waiting on my Desktop. I downloaded from www.hp.com; Support and Drivers. The version is the correct one. When I run the file, the installation works fine until around the third step. Then a message pops up: "Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help." Then a another message informs me the installation was unsuccessful, press continue to uninstall, then restart. The roadblock is here somewhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    There is NO reason you should have to install an SDK to get OEM software to install properly.

    Have you saved the installation file to your PC before trying to run it?

    Have you double checked that you are downloading the correct version for your OS?

    Joe

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,572
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greythings8 View Post
    The installation file is waiting on my Desktop. I downloaded from www.hp.com; Support and Drivers. The version is the correct one. When I run the file, the installation works fine until around the third step. Then a message pops up: "Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help." Then a another message informs me the installation was unsuccessful, press continue to uninstall, then restart. The roadblock is here somewhere.
    Unless you can see the command line and its arguments the SDK is not going to help. Your best bet is the HP forums or HP customer support.

    Joe
    Joe

  12. #12
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    An article on www.out-of-warranty.com made me wonder. My PC and printer are second hand. There's a lot of stuff I'm still going over, including HP programs. Could old HP progs be interfering with installation?

    Greythings8

  13. #13
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Knowing that this is a older machine w/WinXP. If it is using a older version of the Microsoft Installer, it may not have the necessary switches (within the installer program) to work with the HP install software. You may try this link to install the latest Windows Installer version. Install it and retry the HP Install , and see if that makes a difference.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288
    Also, knowing HP USB printer installs, do not plug the usb cable into the computer until the software installation tells you to do so. If you do so, then XP will try to load generic usb controls for it and it will usually not work correctly. Now if this has been done you will have to remove any traces of this printer from XP before you retry the install. Just make sure there is no printers installed before you retry it.
    Then , you might want to head to the Windows Update site to get all the latest patches for the machine, Even with SP3 installed there are quit a few of them to download/install. Plus your probably going
    to need the .net framework installed at some point in time, as alot of software is currently being written with that pre-requisite.

  14. #14
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeloader45 View Post
    Knowing that this is a older machine w/WinXP. If it is using a older version of the Microsoft Installer, it may not have the necessary switches (within the installer program) to work with the HP install software. You may try this link to install the latest Windows Installer version. Install it and retry the HP Install , and see if that makes a difference.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288
    Also, knowing HP USB printer installs, do not plug the usb cable into the computer until the software installation tells you to do so. If you do so, then XP will try to load generic usb controls for it and it will usually not work correctly. Now if this has been done you will have to remove any traces of this printer from XP before you retry the install. Just make sure there is no printers installed before you retry it.
    Then , you might want to head to the Windows Update site to get all the latest patches for the machine, Even with SP3 installed there are quit a few of them to download/install. Plus your probably going
    to need the .net framework installed at some point in time, as alot of software is currently being written with that pre-requisite.
    That sounds like something to pursue. My OS is Win XP SP 3. Would I need to uninstall any old progs first? As for printer installation, I spent two days chatting with HP last week over the printer issue. I would post the transcripts if they weren't too long. They might help narrow down the problem though.

    Greythings8

  15. #15
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,572
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greythings8 View Post
    That sounds like something to pursue. My OS is Win XP SP 3. Would I need to uninstall any old progs first?
    You should NOT have to uninstall any programs to update the Windows Installer. You'll probably have to re-boot though.

    Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •