New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can anybody out there tell me how to resolve this problem ?? I have used the advice on the net, ie start>start search> cmd.exe>run as administrator etc but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Alan.

Thanks
    What does 'stopped working' mean? Do you mean it doesn't load? You don't get a window? You get a window, but there's nothing in it?...
    And what version of Windows are you running?

Is there an instance of explorer.exe in Task Manager -> Processes?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How did you get "Start > Run" if Explorer isn't running?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    How did you get "Start > Run" if Explorer isn't running?
    Hence my request for More Information! (And what do you mean by "isn't running"? )

(Let's hope it was Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer nor MSN Explorer nor Software Explorer.
    And don't get me started on the Messengers...)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the response, I did not make myself very clear, I apologise. I think I have sorted it now, but the problem was this.>

When I went to saved searches & tried to delete some of the results, that was when the "Windows has stopped working" notification

showed on screen, with the option to wait for the program to respond OR restart the program.

Just in case this should happen again, can anybody give me the correct procedure ????

Thanks, Alan Reynolds

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    We need more details.
    What program?
    Exactly what is the message, including titles?
    Did you try to delete the found items or the saved search?
    What version of Windows?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Talking

I came across a similar problem on my Vista Home Premium system in that every time I tried to open a subfolder the search activity bar at the top of the window would move across until it was about 80% complete. At that time I would get a "Windows Explorer has stopped working" followed by the message: "Windows Explorer is restarting". When I tried to access the folder again the same thing would start all over again. Whern I tried the exact same thing using a different account on my coompter, I would not get the "Windows Explorer has stopped working" meessage.

After searching the web for answers and finding that numerous other people were having similar problems, I came across an entry in the event reporting utility built into Vista that reported tracking the "Windows Explorer has stopped working" error. When I scrolled through the information contained in that report, I saw that the problem seemed to be related to a problem reading one of the Thumbcache*.db files in the Windows Explorer cache folder in the Roaming forlder of the account that was having the problem. I moved all of the Thumbcache*.db files to another location and tried to access one of the subfolders that gave me the error before and found that I was now able to access the files in that folder without the "Windows Explorer has stopped working" erro message.

I later found out that the particular Thumbcache*.db file that was referenced in the event report had become corrupt as well as being over 2GB in size. Since then I regularly clear out these Thumbcache*.db files since they seem to grow quite large when doing a lot of searches in a short period of time and I don't want to get that "Windows Explorer has stopped working" error message again.

I don't know if there are other things that can cause "Windows Explorer has stopped working" but it is one that is not completely obvious.
    BobG

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bobgr6 For This Useful Post:

goldigeekgrl (2011-02-24)