Thread: Partitions

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hopefully the answer to my question will be of interest to other members too.
    I have a new Packard Bell PC running Win 7. The 600gig drive is partitioned 50/50. One is "C" and has the operating system and all programs installed on it. The other is "D" and marked Data. The only files here are cache files for my Nikon software and were placed there so as to be on a separate drive from the program software after advice from DPreview members.
    On receipt of my new PC I created the necessary recovery/reinstallation DVDs.
    Things I'd like know are: Are partitions necessary? Why are they so large? What should I keep on each drive? Can I change the size of the partitions (if this is advised) and how?
    My main interest is digital photography and post processing.
    I have external drives of 300gb and 500gb and I would like a sizeable partition on my main drive and there to retain my original digital camera raw files. My (large) processed tiff files would be kept on the 500gb external drive and my backup processed raw and jpg files (together which are smaller in size than tiff) on the 300gb drive.
    Hopefully I'll be able to attach a screen image of my PC's sytem properties.
    [attachment=88183:Untitled.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Chapman View Post
    Hopefully the answer to my question will be of interest to other members too.
    I have a new Packard Bell PC running Win 7. The 600gig drive is partitioned 50/50. One is "C" and has the operating system and all programs installed on it. The other is "D" and marked Data. The only files here are cache files for my Nikon software and were placed there so as to be on a separate drive from the program software after advice from DPreview members.
    On receipt of my new PC I created the necessary recovery/reinstallation DVDs.
    Things I'd like know are: Are partitions necessary? Why are they so large? What should I keep on each drive? Can I change the size of the partitions (if this is advised) and how?
    My main interest is digital photography and post processing.
    I have external drives of 300gb and 500gb and I would like a sizeable partition on my main drive and there to retain my original digital camera raw files. My (large) processed tiff files would be kept on the 500gb external drive and my backup processed raw and jpg files (together which are smaller in size than tiff) on the 300gb drive.
    Hopefully I'll be able to attach a screen image of my PC's sytem properties.
    [attachment=88183:Untitled.png]

Hi Vic and welcome

You have to have at least one partition. Their size is adjustable. I would do it the way you were with the OS on "C" and the date on "D". You can change the size of the partitions either by using the built in utility, or use a 3rd party app like Paragon Disk Suite. I prefer using Paragon because it does theings the built in utility cannot do and its really simple to use.

Let us know if you need help

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks both. I'm reading the tutorial now.
    Cheers, Vic.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    More info in this screen capture. The recovery portion appers to be empty yet the on screen instructions that appeared at first startup said to create recovery CDs/DVDs when I could have used this partition. The link provided above is rather old (latest OS mentioned is win 2k) and most of the links from there are broken or missing so any further advice is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need a recovery CD when the hard disk dies, so both partition and CD is best.

As you have a 750GB disk you could have 2 partitions for data, one for data and one reserved for backup. Unfortunately you already have the maximum number of partitions (4) so it's time to lash out on another disk for exclusive use by your backup.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How you partition your drives is really personal preference.

My primary hard drive (500GB) is partitioned into a 120GB system partition for Win7, the rest is a data drive. I do a similar thing with my 1TB drive with a 20GB partition for XP, 100GB partition for Ubuntu, 8GB partition for Ubuntu's swap file, and the rest is a data partition. My XP partition is small because I use it for only one purpose - video recording. (I could use Win7 for video recording, but I have so many services and other stuff running in Win7 that it occasionally drops frames, especially if I forget it is recording and do things on it. By delegating an XP system with no internet access, a minimal set of services, and no installed software other than what I need for video recording, I get clean recordings.) My 1.5TB drive, on the other hand, is one big data partition. I'm in the market for a 2TB drive and when I get it I will put only one partition on it.

I size my system partitions (Win7, XP, Ubuntu) to hold installed software only - I change the locations of key folders such as Documents and Pictures to be on one of the data partitions. I tend to oversize the system partitions (none of them are half full) because I don't want to run out of room for installing future software, and some software such as video creation and games take up a lot of space. I used to have them half the size and always ran into space issues.

Of course, having a PC from a vendor means your are stuck with a recovery partition, which by the way is not empty - it is simply marked such that Windows will not mount it. It actually contains a factory image of your disk. Of course, having a PC from a vendor means your are stuck with a recovery partition, which by the way is not empty - it is simply marked such that Windows will not mount it. It actually contains a factory image of your disk. But if the hard disk dies this partion will do you no good because it will be dead also, so make sure you follow the vendors instructions to create the recovery DVDs. But personally, I would leave the recovery partition as and not touch it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Peter and all others who replied. It seems then that my hard drive partitions are not totally wasted space and there is not much to be gained by adjusting their sizes - so as my system is running well and fast I'll leave it as is and when space becomes a problem I'll add another hard drive. They are getting cheaper all the time.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should add another drive for backup now. Better a bit of wasted space than no data.

cheers, Paul