Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

My Vista operating system has been corrupted or hijacked, I don't know which I just know it want's me to put in the OS disk then click repair. The Geek squad backed up my files (lot's of money) but I have an external HD now. Anyway, I want to do this right and you have helped me in the past so what do you kneed to know to help me?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are absolutely sure you have backed up everything I would start from scratch with a format and clean install. This will remove any malware that may be the source of your problem.
    Failing that you can try the repair option, but if the installation is really corrupt or the hard disk unwell it may not fix it.

When do you get the message asking for the CD? Maybe we can sort it out without repairing.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    If you are absolutely sure you have backed up everything I would start from scratch with a format and clean install. This will remove any malware that may be the source of your problem.
    Failing that you can try the repair option, but if the installation is really corrupt or the hard disk unwell it may not fix it.

When do you get the message asking for the CD? Maybe we can sort it out without repairing.

cheers, Paul
    Once you do this format, after reloading the OS and apps the way you want them, the first thing to do is create an entire system image so if this happens again you can save lots of time reinstalling apps and bringing data back.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Once you do this format, after reloading the OS and apps the way you want them, the first thing to do is create an entire system image so if this happens again you can save lots of time reinstalling apps and bringing data back.
    Thank's Ted, Paul
    I have a Gateway laptop, and don't have an "out of the box" copy of Vista. I have what they call a restore disk, that they made for me when I bought my computer over 2 years ago. Geek Squad put my files and folders on an external HD so I could take advantage of a special they were running to get the back-up and the HD for 155.00 rather than just paying the 99. for the back-up to CD's. I went that route already back in November --I had spilled water on my keyboard, luckily I had the drop and spill protection at the time, so they fixed it free, but I still had to pay for the back-up.
    I am really interested in backing up my computer --Programs, OS and all-- like a shadow or ghost copy. --can that be accomplished with Vista Home Premium? Geek Squad said I couldn't do it.
    I don't have the foggiest idea how to start this so you'll have to pretend you are helping your great-grandmother, I hope I'm not asking too much.

Thanks
    I do not remember if Vista has a back up app similar to Win 7, but this is a somewhat limited back up. I finally went to a 3rd party, Acronis True Image Home 2010. I have heard that Macrium Reflect is a good alternative and it's free. I did not like the user interface as well as Acronis, hence my choice.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Give Reflect a run as it's free for personal use. It will use your external disk to store the files, which is the best option.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will it also backup programs so I don't have to reload them complete with keys or codes? I looked at their website, if they copy the programs too, they didn't say so in a language that I understand. Also it looks like I would have to understand some programming stuff-- which I don't!
    Basically I know how to turn the computer on and off and run some programs. I have a very tight schedule and if I had the money I'd pay someone else to do this for me but I'm stuck. I take care of my parents and they don't understand the phrase "Please wait, just a minute" or "I'll get it in a minute", I'm in school to change careers (maybe I should change it to computer issue fixer). There is a lot more but I'll spare you the drama . You guys were so great the last time I needed help, and I really appreciate how much patients and (knowledge) you are willing to impart.
    Evelyn

Thanks
    If you create an image of your hard drive using any of the back up programs, it creaes a complete image including all settings, keys etc. An image is like a snapshot of your entire system. When you make a change on your system, the change will not be present in your backup image unless you re-image your system.

Each Back up tool supplies a method to use the image to put your system back to the exact way it was when the image was created. In most cases you would load the CD or DVD Rescue Disk or what ever the app calls their disk, reboot to the removable media and follow the instructions. Remember your bios must be set to boot from the CD/DVD drive first before booting from the hd. Set this up now if it is not. Remember to remove any media from your optical drive whenever rebooting after making this change unless you intend to reboot from the media.

When recovering from a disaster, you will have to have access to the image as well. Several places to place an image are easily usable. Ext hard drives connected through USB or eSata, removable DVD media, another partition (if your system is really hosed this may not be accesible), etc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, Paul you said: "When do you get the message asking for the CD? Maybe we can sort it out without repairing.
    cheers, Paul"

...So what do we do next? I have my laptop battery charged, but I havn't turned the computer on yet to try booting it up. The last time I did, I got that cryptic black screen (something like DOS used to be), asking me to put in the Operating System disk and hit repair.
    Evelyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK-- I tried to boot up again. Here is what I get on the screen:
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1 Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2 Choose your language settings, and then click next.
    3 Click "Repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\System32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

That is where I left it, I shut it down. I have two disks; one from Gatway: Operating System Disc, the other from Best Buy "Geek Squad" when I purchased the computer Titled: Gateway T-1620; Recovery Disk 1/1

Sincerely Evelyn Mitchell

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Am I in the wrong forum?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    i used install cd from windows vista and i did a chkdsk with manual repairtool in prompt from disk
    Used chkdsk /f - he repair entrees and stuff,
    rebooted after 5 min and vista worked again.
    Seems i had 4kb in badsectors, so prob sucky disc after 2 years having this pc.
    From http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-fdfaa2fd75d3/

Try the above and let us know.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you!!

I put in the Operating system disk and followed the directions-- It worked. I don't know why Best Buy said I shouldn't do it-- unless they were trying to sell service. I didn't really need to back up files either, everything is as it should be. I know it is a good idea to back up files anyway, and from now on I am going to. They scared me to death for nothing.

I do have one little thing that might be a glitch, I got a red X warning that I didn't have permission to change catalist controle settings, Catalist is a registerd trademark of something, The icon is ATI and it has something to do with graphics. but I don't have a clue other than that.

Do you hnow what that might be?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If chkdsk has fixed the problem your disk may be unwell. Go to the disk maunfacturers web site and download the diagnostics - there should be a Windows version. Check the hard disk for errors and let us know what you find.

ATI Catalyst is your graphics program. I suggest you re-load the graphics software.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

Should I go to Microsoft windows or Gateway-- I have the gateway laptop running vista home premium-32-Bit?

Now I just got the windows update -- I forgot to change the update settings, my computer wants to shut down. Is ther a way to stop it once it starts?

I read someplace on this site that I should setup as an administrator even though I'm th only one using the computer. It's been several days so I've forgotten where that was.

Ok I'm going to gateway, first maybe they can help me with the graphics software too. It's telling me that I don't have the authority to change it.

Evelyn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast