Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They are suggesting I do a complete reinstall, which will wipe out everything. It may be my only option as they don't seem to have any tools to fix the disc, other than a reinstall. If there are other options do you know of them and will you pass the info on to me.

PS: Should this really be a new thread? Since my origional issue is is resolved.

Thanks, Evelyn

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Do NOT re-install Windows. Your problem is fixed so it's only updates now.

The hard disk tester will be on the web site of the disk manufacturer. The disk manufacturer can be found by running "System Information" and selecting Components, Storage, Disks.
    On XP System Information is under Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools.

The graphics driver will be on the Gateway site.
    If you are getting a message saying you don't have authority to change the driver you may not be running as administrator. You will need to do this to be able to update drivers.

Windows Update asks you to shut down once it has installed the patches. This is OK.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can't Collect Information. cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software. Windows Management files may be moved or missing.

Under the heading System Summary, I have three plus boxes, 1) Hardware Resources, 2) Components, 3) Software Environment in the left file tree. With System summary highlighted I get the above information "Can't Collect Information..."

I selected Components, then storage, then disks, the same message comes up "Can't Collect Information..."

If this is an administrator problem how do I become an administrator for my computer, I tried going through control panel to "user accounts" and that didn't work. Is ther another way? I'm beginning to think that Best Buy removed or moved this stuff so I would be forced to bring my computer into their shop.
    I am running Vista Home Premium on a Gateway T-series laptop, which Gateway dosn't even want to support any more. I purchased it in Nov. of 2007.

Back in November I had to take my computer in to Best Buy because I spilled water on the keyboard, at the time I had a "drop and spill warrantee" that was a month shy of expiration. They changed some of the hardware. When I droped off the computer they only asked for my restore disk (the one they made when I purchased my computer) but they didn't want my OS disk said they had one there. Could they have just loaded the restore disk without the OS disk? or maybe loaded the wrong OS or some other unexplained event?

Do I have to worry about the graphics program at the same time or can I get these other issues worked out first?

Thank's for your Help, Evelyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I'm trully stumped. I'm ready to throw this thing across the room. If I could buy a new one I probably would!

My computer can't take updates either-- Updates Failed!

Now What, No Management instrumentation, No Updates, Not an Administrator, But the d____ thing is working somehow-- what gives?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    A recovery disk is the OS disk.

Your computer seems to be slowly failing, which may indicate either hardware or malware.
    I suggest you run check disk to test your hard disk (Right click C: drive and select Properties and Tools).
    If that is OK I would use system file checker to check your files - you will need the recovery CD handy, then click Start > Run and type sfc /scannow.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Thank's I didn't know about the right click on C drive.
    I did that but nothing turned up. I'm going to try finding the system file checker, though I've tried to find the management instrumentation software when you suggested it before, but the computer said it couldn't collect information, see post #18, ----------) also I know the diffrence between the discs --------- I have TWO disks the one Best Buy ask for was the one they made for my computer, but just so you know I havn't gone off the "deep-end" yet-- I'm sending the picture.
    --------) I understand your frustration with me, I really am having a lot of trouble. If it makes you feel any better I am frustrated with this operation too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about the size, I really thought it would be smaller.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried the sfc/scannow "just as you typed it" my computer can't find the file-- Do I need to put in a drive letter C:\ or D:\ and/or the OS disk or was I correct to just type it in as you typed it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello--
    I still need help-- if anyone else is willing, please, I think I've used up all of Paul's ideas-- I keep hitting dead ends with everything he has had me do. My issue changed somewhat about 8 posts ago. Back on the 28th I was preparing to reinstall, and he advised me not to. So we have been trying different things ever since, but to no avail.

Any Ideas out there?!
    Evelyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know I'm cluless -- but how do I learn what is correct if I don't ask for clarification. I'm not trying to be impossible, or be a smart_ _ _! I can't help it if you think it's too obvious for me to miss. I missed something -- so please. I'd rather you just told me straight out-- go to a computer shop, or re-install windows. Ignoring me is not the right thing to do.
    Sincerely, Evelyn

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you put the correct spaces in when you ran SFC?
    SFC /SCANNOW

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    --
    Perhaps not, I didn't realize it was a space between sfc_/scannow, (no I won't use the underscore). Thank you

It's always harder to detect what "isn't"

Thank you, Evelyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your patients.

Sorry it took so long to get back, I had a lot to do and only very little free time. I tried the sfc /scannow, I did it twice to be sure -- it just quit at 76% during the varification scan. Very uneventful, it did not ask for the OS disk, or the recovery CD.

What should I do now, My computer still can't configure updates or install them, all updates fail.

Evelyn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12