New Lounger
    Thanks
    I posted this question on December 6, 2009, back when WindowsSecrets upgraded the renamed WS Lounge, but I did not get any replies. On the chance that it got lost in the flurry of posts produced by the announcement of the format changes to the forum, but also because it is of critical importance to me and could not be resolved by my tech person, I am posting it again. I hope that doing so does not violate any rules, but I am really desperate for a solution to this problem (as will be evident by reading it). Here, then, is a shortened version of my original post:

As a handicapped person, I'm limited in how I can use the computer, particularly in the area of cursor control. The best product I have found is the Kensington MouseWorks track ball (four buttons, scrolling ring, version 6.2.2) with the cursor acceleration set quite low.

Here's the problem: whenever I must reboot my computer, the cursor shifts to maximum speed, shooting across the screen at the slightest movement of the ball and making control almost impossible.Yet when I open the MouseWorks configuration, all of the settings remain as I had adjusted them (including the slowest possible speed for the standard mouse setting in Device Control).

To correct this, I must go through a lengthy procedure. First I need to uninstall the MouseWorks software, which requires an additional reboot in order to complete it. After the second reboot -- and waiting for each reboot to complete -- I must reinstall the MouseWorks software and then reconfigure it.

This can be quite frustrating because I'm doing it while the cursor is still at its highest speed and therefore almost impossible to control. So I do not reboot unless I absolutely have to, which means the computer runs all the time and never gets to rest or to do the "cleaning up" that accompanies rebooting. (I am using Microsoft Windows XP 2002, professional, service pack 3, version 3311, with Intel core duo,@2.33 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM.)

I spoke with people at Kensington a number of times but they could not offer any solution. They replaced the trackball and software disc. I installed the replacement software (also 6.2.2) , but the same problem persists. Now Kensington is no longer servicing this particular model, so I'm having to look elsewhere for help.

A Google search did not turn up anything relevant. I suspect something in the reboot process is overriding the acceleration controls for the cursor. If that is the case, could anyone help me figure out how to locate and correct the problem? If it is not the case, does anyone have any other suggestions?

As I mentioned earlier, I already have sufficient drawbacks to using the computer because of my handicap (I'm writing this with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, a computer-activated writing program, which also has its own frustrations -- including mouse commands that work but are very slow. The trackball problem makes this process all the more frustrating. I sincerely hope that someone can help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't find a site that explains why the default parameters aren't reset to your personal choices either. Have you tried to back rev the Mouse Works software to V 6.11?
    \m/ ^_^ \m/