Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking to update my mobile, for a trip overseas, and would be interested in suggestions on the best one to buy. Trouble with the web reviews is... well, you know... too many, too vague, advertiser-sponsored etc. etc.

I guess the feature wishlist that comes to mind (so far) is:

o good quality camera
    o GPS
    o able to hold maps/ tourist attractions (European)
    o e-mail & messaging capability
    o good touchscreen and keypad

I'd imagine I'm looking at fairly high end of market, but that's OK since my old clunker needs an upgrade, and the digital camera needs to stay at home. Any first-hand info appreciated, but even if you don't own the model itself and you've hard good things about it, I'd be interested in following it up.

Also, I know nothing about roaming access and the best deals to look for with SIM/provider etc.

thanks
    Alan

Lurker
    Thanks

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I am a complete outsider, but in your searches you might investigate satellite phones versus cell phones, or, for that matter, satellite gear for phone and computer.

You might also look into whether or not you might profit by purchasing the presumably-expensive gear in transit, at a duty-free shop or something of the sort.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Out of pure curiosity I asked at a couple of mobile phone places here (in Canada), and that Nokia is indeed the latest and greatest, and it is so new on the market here that no one appears to have it. I don't know how long it has been available in other places (which might affect its known track record), nor what the price is here, but you may want to guard it well if you get it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Highest radiation seems bizarre, but intriguing for a shopper.

Thanks
    I've been pretty happy with my iPhone so far. The Google Maps app is incredible. Watching the the gal swap my SIM card in-out, it seems pretty easy. One caveat is the neurotic mail app that I've complained about elsewhere (Although this might be a Canadian problem).
    Elsewhere in the lounge - see this discussion
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input on this folks. Having done a bit more research, and with a couple of "strokes of luck", I've come up with a good solution for my situation.

o It seems like it's most cost effective to buy a prepaid SIM for each country, as opposed to setting up roaming access etc. with the one provider.

o I'll never understand GenX-Y! A friend who is accompanying me said his daughter is about to throw out a digital camera, which I could have free!
    "Does it work?"
    "It should. It's still in the unopened packaging."
    "So why is she throwing it out?"
    "Doesn't have the features she wants."
    "Couldn't she take it back for a refund?"
    "Too much hassle apparently. She'd rather just save up for a better one."
    Problem solved for me through the process of pure illogical, irrational thought.

o The same girl works for a GPS/map related company and was able to get units for both me and her dad, to "test run" the "All Western Europe" mapset they deal with. Sure... I'll be a free beta tester!

So it looks like I have a solution landed in my lap.

Alan

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Come now, this is Scuttlebutt, AKA Light Relief, AKA Fun Links and Trivia. You wouldn't be pulling our leg(s) would you?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Come now, this is Scuttlebutt, AKA Light Relief, AKA Fun Links and Trivia. You wouldn't be pulling our leg(s) would you?
    Nope... I kid you not.
    It kinda makes better sense too. With a separate camera I can store photos on SD cards, so even if the camera is nicked I might still have (some of) the snaps. Same goes with having separate devices.

I actually had no idea his daughter had changed jobs to a GPS firm. That was just a bonus on top of a bonus.

Alan

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    If that camera is still in the box, chances are the young lady has no idea what it can do. If you try wading through the manual (your next big job) you may be astounded at what those contraptions are capable of. About the only quick idea for certain purposes is how many pixels of resolution it has, but if it is at all recent it should be respectable. It is also a really fun thing to practice with, since the photos cost nothing more than a tiny bit of battery power and you can slap them on your computer (and empty the chip) anytime, filling the monitor with the results of your efforts.

The telephone is a similar matter, but for me at least the learning curve would be pretty steep I think. (I had one that was easy, one that was impossible, and none since.)

I'm not sure that 'I kid you not' was in Lord Baden-Powell's lexicon.