New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 4 PC home network which uses a Linksys Unix-based router. Two PC's have Norton Internet Security 2009, one has Norton Internet Security 2010, and one has the Comodo suite.

I have run Norton Antivirus, the online Norton tool, the Microsoft Malicious Software removal and Microsoft LiveOneCare, and none of these show a virus on any of the PCs.

When Norton runs its automatic Live Update, it appears to work fine and I get no error messages. Ditto with the Commodo. However, when I try to access the website http://www.liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com, it returns the message, "domain not found" and redirects to Optimum online (on all four PCs). This also occurs when I boot in safe mode. However, when I ping this address, it works. When I boot using Ubuntu I am able to access this site through the browser.

The hosts files all seem to be the original Microsoft sample versions.

The question is, do I have a virus? If so, how can I determine which? The performance appears to be normal on all the machines and there are no funny pop-ups. The only symptom is that on the machine with NIS2010, the Norton Icon keeps disappearing and I get an error message about "ccsvhst not responding" when I power down.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The website URL you posted will not work. Try: http://liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, thank you for replying. Yes, you are absolutely right. A second Symantec support person finally realized that too (with some embarrassment). The first one, who gave me the incorrect URL even typed it out for me so that I would enter it properly (?). The disappearing icon and error message evidently stemmed from an incomplete uninstall when Norton Internet Security upgraded from NIS2009 to NIS2010.