New Lounger
    Thanks
    I connect to the Internet through a BrightHouse cable modem to a D Link wireless router to an HP Pavilion dv 9000 series notebook (lap top) with Vista home premium 32 bit (SP2) and 2 GB memory. I use Outlook to monitor three email services: AOL, Gmail and Yahoo mail. Occasionally, the wireless connection is lost with the error message "connected with limited access." The wireless icon in the tray will have a yellow triangle through it or a red "X." I have not been able to determine any specific program that precipitates this condition, but the only way to correct it is to reboot the laptop. When rebooted a normal wireless connection is established. Sometimes the wireless connection will last all day and other times it will last only a few minutes. Friends have told me that the problem sounds like it's in the router, but I have no evidence of that. I use both IE 8.0 and Firefox V3.5.8. The problem occurs when using either brouser, but it seems to occur more with IE -- although I have no proof of this.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried a different channel for the connection?

Is there much distance between the PC & router?

Is there much interference (i.e. walls, conrcrete, steel)?

Joe
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    By channel Joe means going into the router config and changing the wireless channel settings - you need to use a cable connection for this. You need to re-connect your laptop to the wireless once you change the settings.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weitz View Post
    Occasionally, the wireless connection is lost with the error message "connected with limited access." The wireless icon in the tray will have a yellow triangle through it or a red "X." I have not been able to determine any specific program that precipitates this condition, but the only way to correct it is to reboot the laptop.
    This might indicate that the IP address assigned by the router expired and could not be renewed. If a full reboot helps, then it may be possible to remedy that by right-clicking the icon and choosing Repair. If not, perhaps there is a power-related issue (Windows putting the tiny wireless network card to sleep to save power).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weitz View Post
    Occasionally, the wireless connection is lost with the error message "connected with limited access." The wireless icon in the tray will have a yellow triangle through it or a red "X."
    I had a similar problem with my hp laptop but was using a buffalo router. the laptop would connect to the router but with limited connectivity (yellow triangle) i.e. I could always connect to the router and access all the setup screens via my browser but it would not connect to internet. Buffalo tech support advised to return the router for an exchange and the new one worked fine.

However I never had the additional problem that you have experienced with the red x on the wireless icon. This indicates that your laptop is not even connecting to the router itself.
    When you get the red x are you able to reconnect to the router without a shutdown even if it may be with limited connectivity ie no internet.
    is the router still under warranty.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the fast response. I did not know that there are multiple or how to change them. Can you expand on this. The router is in a room about 20 feet away (and separated by another room).
    Michael

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok Michael,

Your first problem is the red cross on the wireless icon.
    This means that your computer cannot even see your wireless network. Its as if you have switched of your wireless adaptor.

To rule out a problem with your laptop you could take your laptop to a friends house and see if it connects ok to their wireless router. Or if you have 2 computers you could connect them both to your router and see what happens. If both fail to connect then itís a safe bet to say the problem is with the router.

If one computer can connect to your router but your HP doesnít then itís likely to be a problem with the HP laptop if so we can look into that further but would need more information

If itís not a problem with the laptop it could be that another nearby wireless router is affecting yours. You can check this by right clicking the wireless icon and click view available wireless networks. You may need to click refresh network list. This will display all the wireless networks in range. If there are other wireless routers in range with strong signals then you could try changing the channel as someone above suggested. You donít say if your router is a G or N spec. G spec routers are much more prone to interference than N spec.

Does the problem occur when you are in a certain spot within the house there could be parts of your house that have dead spots that donít receive sufficiently strong signals because of reflection from concrete steel wood etc. Does your laptop connect ok when itís in the same room as the router.

Your second problem when you get the yellow triangle limited connectivity.

This happens when your laptop detects your wireless router but is unable to connect to it. The laptop sees the wireless router and requests an IP address but the request is ignored. Basically your router wont talk to the laptop.

This is the problem I had and when I checked with tech support they asked me to update the routers firmware, that didnít work for me but it may do for you. If it doesnít then I would try a new wireless cable router.