2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am rebuilding an XP Home machine for a charity donation. I can't get the MS firewall to turn on so I use Zone Alarm Firewall. I can't find a free antivirus (AVG, Avast, Avira) that does not conflict with ZA. Any suggestions? I'd be happy to change to a different firewall if I can just get both freebies to play well together.
    Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hillebrand View Post
    I am rebuilding an XP Home machine for a charity donation. I can't get the MS firewall to turn on so I use Zone Alarm Firewall. I can't find a free antivirus (AVG, Avast, Avira) that does not conflict with ZA. Any suggestions? I'd be happy to change to a different firewall if I can just get both freebies to play well together.
    Thanks!
    It sounds as though the XP reinstallation is incomplete, which is why you can't get the MS firewall to run.

Comodo is a free alternative to Zone Alarm that you could consider.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try to start the Windows Firewall. Since it won't start it should drop an event into Event Viewer. Take a look and see what error codes are associated with it. Post them here and maybe someone can help track it down.

Another possibility is that something went corrupt or as Gfamily suggested, didn't fully install. You could try re-installing the OS and running a repair.

What all is said and done you might want to use Microsoft Security Essentials. Its a fairly comprehensive security solution, it's free and not too bad.
    Chuck

Thanks
    If the Windows Firewall does not work, the MS Security Center is probably also not working. This is probably why the free anti-virus programs won't install or run properly. None of what you have listed is incompatible with the Zone Alarm Free Firewall, without any of their other Internet Security modules.
    -- Bob Primak --

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions. The Comodo seems to working fine.