Thread: Newbie To UAC

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows 7 x64 installed on a new HP desktop. When I configured the system, I did not set up a password so i could boot right on into Windows 7. My UAC is set at the recommended level (I level down from the top bar). I occasionally get requests to confirm an operation and this flows on perfectly. However, when I ran Secunia PSI, it said my Chrome installation was insecure and showed me the location of the files in c:\Users\All Users, and there are several folders that have what I think are shortcut arrows on them that are not accessible. How do I gain access? If I am not the Administrator, how do I raise my authority to Administrator level. There are no other users on this computer. I dropped my UAC level to the bottom and this did not help. I went into Properties\Security for these folders and tried to edit the Allow settings but was told I do not have the authority to change them. This whole problem opened up a Pandora's box for me of terminology, permissions, etc. Is there somewhere a knowledge base written for " UAC For Dummies"?

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try taking ownership of the files/folders. http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

Thanks
    The folders with shortcut arrows are not accesible. There are other folders that point to these locations you can access. I do not know what these inaccessible folders are there for. Perhaps when I chose show all folders and unhide system folders these showed up, but generally system folders are not accessable. Choose the icons without the shortcut arrows.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Whisennand View Post
    However, when I ran Secunia PSI, it said my Chrome installation was insecure and showed me the location of the files in c:\Users\All Users, and there are several folders that have what I think are shortcut arrows on them that are not accessible. How do I gain access?
    You do not gain access to these folders. They are used so that older software will still work with the new Windows 7 structure. They are call "junction points". See NTFS junction point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for details.

Joe
    Joe