Thread: win 7 security

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to move from my old XP Pro to a new machine with win 7 Ultimate. The heightened security of Win 7 limits my ability to access, move and change files even though they are "shared" in the XP machine. I moved most things over with Windows transfer, but there remain issues of ownership. Can anybody give me a reference which will enable me to gain full access to files from each machine to the other for seeing, moving and changing files?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The fastest way I found to gain control of folders in Windows 7 was to google "grant admin full control". Then go to site and download the .reg file. After download, click on it, and it will place the entry into Windows 7 registry. Then type in "folder options" on Start menu and go to options and unhide hidden folders. Then go to C Drive and right click on each folder and select option to "Grant Admin Full Control". I clicked on each folder and sub-folder (don't know if necessary, but I had time). Afterwards, go back and choose "hide hidden folders".

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Taylor View Post
    I am trying to move from my old XP Pro to a new machine with win 7 Ultimate. The heightened security of Win 7 limits my ability to access, move and change files even though they are "shared" in the XP machine. I moved most things over with Windows transfer, but there remain issues of ownership. Can anybody give me a reference which will enable me to gain full access to files from each machine to the other for seeing, moving and changing files?
    Try taking ownership of the folder.