New Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Calc Durations (2000)

Can you calculate a task's duration based on some other variables? I'm looking to save data entry time and supporting changes over time. Say a task takes 15 minutes. In one case I need to perform this task four times for a total of one hour. The next time may only need two for 1/2 hour. I don't want to copy the task four or two times in the schedule. I would like to have a variable that I can set say 'x' so duration is calculated as x*15 minutes. I hope that's enough description. Is this possible?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto Calc Durations (2000)

Use the custom field duration 1 (go to tools, customize, fields). Rename your duration 1 field then click on the formula button. Inside the formula dialog box click on field, select duration (duration) multiply it by 4, click ok. then insert your duration field by right clicking, insert column and locate the duration 1 field. You can do this again for various outcomes (you can have up to 10 custom duration fields.
    Your formula should look like this: [Duration]*4

Thanks

You can also insert recurring tasks.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Star Lounger
    Thanks

How would a recurring task calculate various durations? If you insert a recurring task and give it a duration your only options are daily, weekly monthly. It will not give you "calculated" durations

Thanks

The assumption *is* that a recurring task will have the same duration each time, ie a 2hr meeting every week.
    The summary task for the recurring subtasks shows the duration from the first occurance to the last - which is odd, I agree.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile