Thanks
    I host an informal network for my neighbors so that they can use my Wifi. We use WEP64 and a password. I have a router/WAN (Linksys 610N) connected to a cable modem. I directly attach my two PCs and my IP printer to the router via Ethernet cable. I rarely use my own Wifi, but I would like to do it occasionally.

I don't want my router to be used for peer-to-peer networking of any sort. How can I enforce such a policy through my router? I've searched this and other forums, with no hint of how to achieve it. I emailed the router manufacturer, but their reply was not encouraging. Do I just need to close a couple of ports or something? Is there software that will run on my router that will do it?

Thanks!

Dave
    Dave

Thanks
    Hi Dave,

OpenDNS can help with this, here is a list of filters available in the free version. There are ways to bypass it, no doubt but this method is very easy to implement Create a free account, setup the router, go to the OpenDNS Dashboard to set filters, password, etc.

[attachment=88211:Filtering.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hejde View Post
    I host an informal network for my neighbors so that they can use my Wifi. We use WEP64 and a password. I have a router/WAN (Linksys 610N) connected to a cable modem. I directly attach my two PCs and my IP printer to the router via Ethernet cable. I rarely use my own Wifi, but I would like to do it occasionally.

I don't want my router to be used for peer-to-peer networking of any sort. How can I enforce such a policy through my router? I've searched this and other forums, with no hint of how to achieve it. I emailed the router manufacturer, but their reply was not encouraging. Do I just need to close a couple of ports or something? Is there software that will run on my router that will do it?
    If by peer-to-peer networking you mean you don't want your neighbors having access to any of your PCs the best way to isolate them would be to purchase another router and have one router service their WI-Fi and another service your household.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I think the best way to go about this would be to get to know your neighbors.
    Sit down with them informally and with a little suave, explain to them your concerns
    regarding the usage of the wifi you are so generously providing.

Your concerns are primarily with someone using your wifi for filesharing like bitTorrent as an example, yes?

I suppose you could ban the IP's of the offenders if you need to.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I agree with the "get another router" suggestion. And get rid of WEP! It allows more than just your neighbours use your wifi. You should be using WPA2.

cheers, Paul