4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In our office, we have 2 computers using Office 2007 and 2 using Office 2003. On one of the 2003 machines, we publish a monthly newsletter. There is a converter installed to convert docx to doc, however when open docx articles we lose the numbers and bullets. Is there a newer converter that we need or do we have to save all of the articles in 2003 format, or doc? Thanks for any help you can give us.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You shouldn't lose the numbers and bullets, just by opening using the converter in 2003. What happens when you open one of the .docx documents in Word 2007, and do a SaveAs to the .doc format? - do you get a prompt about losing any formatting?

One a more general note, if you've got two users using Word 2007, and two users using Word 2003, and you need to exchange a lot of documents back and forth between 2007 and 2003, it would probably be best to save documents created in Word 2007, in the .doc file format. You'll lose access to any 2007-specific features, but it should allow you to more seamlessly exchange documents back and forth.

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gary,

Yes when we Save As from 2007 to 2003, it does say that we might lose some of the formatting. When we do that, we don't notice any missing formatting, the bullets and numbering is probably the most complex formatting we have.

I did some further experimenting and found that on one of the computers, mine, when I open the 2007 file and it converts, it shows the bullets and numbers while on the other computer it doesn't. I think they are set up the same but I will try loading the conversion software again and see if that helps. In the meantime, I have already told the 2007 users to save in 2003 format when it is going to the 2003 machine.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if re-installing the conversion software helps.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Another thing to take a look at, is whether you're using some special font for the bullets or numbers, that exists on one machine, but not on the other.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good suggestion Gary. I checked the fonts and they are OK.

What I did do is re-download the Compatibility Pack and it seems that there was an update to it. The version I downloaded is 12.0.6500.5000 and it seems to be working properly now.

Thanks for the help with this.