jyva

Uninstall Office 2000

I just bought a system which appears to have "had" a copy of Office 2000 installed on it. I'm trying to install my own legal copy of Office2000 Premium from a CD. When I insert the CD and run setup the installer says that it has found an older version and wants to know if I want to update it. If I answer yes the installer prompts me to insert the office 2000 premium and appears to look for it in the floppy drive. There is no activity on the CD rom drive. Any hints/tricks to de-install the old version without the original source. When I try add/remove programs and highlight Office 2000 premium it looks for a disk in the floppy drive.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Uninstall Office 2000

is it listed in add/remove programs?

jyva

yes, it is listed in the add/remove programs.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

unistall it and reinstall using your cd should work then.

jyva

When I try uninstalling using the add/remove button the windows installer looks for a disk in the floppy drive. Evidently the person who performed the original installation used a floppy disk as part of the install. When it can't find a floppy it gives me an error message which says "the feature you are trying to insatall is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk........" Evidently the uninstaller is looking for a file called "data1.msi". If I point the installer to the CD-Rom that has my legal copy on it says that this wasn't the version (data1.msi) used to install the original.

Scott A

Sounds like the Office packages are not the same. This can happen if the CD you have is SR-1 and the local install is base. Or, if the CD is a different SKU (Premium, Professional, Standard, or SBE) than the current install.

Try using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to delete the Installer registry info for Office. Then delete the ..Program FilesMicrosoft Office directory (assuming this is the directory where it was installed to) and reinstall Office 2000 from the CD to the same location.

HTH

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Being a USED computer I would consider on formating the hard drive and doing a clean install of all of your OS and software.
    One never knows what was left on someones machine when they get rid of them. On MY old machines that I give away or sell I will do a format and clean install of the OS and any OEM software that came with the machine. This way I will not be giving away any of my family stories or any of MY software.

If you do do this, make sure that you have backed up ALL of the data files that you have made.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Just before formatting, and just to be safe from any "unformat" options that may be available, the company I work for uses the "FDISK" command to totally wipe the disk, and then re-partition.

Just another step on the side of good data security.
    Christopher Baldrey

jyva

Thanks, the cleanup utility did the trick.