2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PATCH WATCH

MS patch causes BSOD if PC has Alureon malware

By Susan Bradley

A collision between one of Microsoft's recent Windows security patches and a rootkit called Alureon is giving some PC users the infamous "Blue Screen of Death."

I previously advised you not to install Microsoft's security patch MS10-015 until I looked into it in more detail, but now I'm ready to give you the all clear — with caveats.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/02/25/07 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-20 at 15:51.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are considering using the Kaspersky rootkit removal tool, you should be aware that it does not support 64-bit operating systems. I find this to be true of many utilities recommended in the Windows Secrets Newsletter; since computing seems to be heading in the 64-bit direction, I'm sure I'm not alone in stumbling over this problem repeatedly.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding latest patches for Adobe Flash mentioned in your column, Secunia appears confused about which Flash program requires an update. Secunia reports flash.exe 9.0.260.0 as insecure when in fact that is the latest version. Running Adobe update and patching flashplayer.exe 10.0.45.2 does not correct report of flash.exe as insecure.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RB Carter View Post
    Regarding latest patches for Adobe Flash mentioned in your column, Secunia appears confused about which Flash program requires an update. Secunia reports flash.exe 9.0.260.0 as insecure when in fact that is the latest version. Running Adobe update and patching flashplayer.exe 10.0.45.2 does not correct report of flash.exe as insecure.
    What Secunia is sometimes reporting is not Flash or Adobe Reader per se, but the Adobe Download Helper. This is an extraneous piece of software which has known security issues. Note also that installing new versions of Flash Player does not always remove all traces of previous versions. And as long as the Download Helper (also known as NOS Systems or "get-plus") is present, or its OCX ActiveX controls, Secunia will report that your system is not secure. Follow all Secunia PSI paths to locations of Flash, NOS Systems, get-plus, and the Adobe Download Helper program. And the OCX ActiveX Controls may also show up independently.

I never liked having the Download Manager on my laptop, so I used RevoUninstaller to get rid of it. But the OCX ActiveX Controls remained in C:/Windows/Downloaded Programs or Downloaded Packages. Checking both folders with Acronis File Shredder (a utility in True Image Home 2010) I found one or two hidden, locked ActiveX Controls. The Acronis File Shredder did a forced-delete of the ActiveX Controls, and all that was left to do was to do a CCleaner Registry and system cleanup and reboot. Thereafter, Secunia PSI gave my laptop a clean bill of health.

I know this is a lot of hoops to go through, just to update Flash Player, but this is Adobe we're dealing with. What did you expect?
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Your Patch Watch column is very informative and helpful in maintaining computers. The problem that I come up with is when I have to rebuild a machine by reloading a fresh install of the OS. It is then that I struggle to find which patches are relevant and needed to secure the computer. I have to go to different vendors sites to go through their list of approved patches and through your columns to complete a list of patches. Do you have a place to go that maintains list of tested patches?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Your Patch Watch column is very informative and helpful in maintaining computers. The problem that I come up with is when I have to rebuild a machine by reloading a fresh install of the OS. It is then that I struggle to find which patches are relevant and needed to secure the computer. I have to go to different vendors sites to go through their list of approved patches and through your columns to complete a list of patches. Do you have a place to go that maintains list of tested patches?
    I determined a long time ago that it is not worth the time & effort to try and distill what patches may or may not apply to a particular PC. Any time I install an OS, if the latest service pack is not integrated into the install that is the first thing I install. Then, I run Windows Update (re-booting as needed) until there are no more patches offered. All this before, any application programs are installed.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Definitely not the best way to find you have malware on your system, but not the worst either.
    Thanks for your most informative columns.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.