2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BEST SOFTWARE

Free software sheds light on PC activity

By Ian "Gizmo" Richards

When your PC suddenly starts churning away on its own without obvious cause, you probably wonder: Just what the heck is going on in there?

The possibilities range from the benign to the nefarious — from normal background maintenance to a hacker mining your system for whatever he can find. Here are some tips and software that can help you know exactly what's happening.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/02/25/06 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-20 at 15:03.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gosh ... I'd love you to do a column like this for browsers that are suspiciously busy.

I run IE and FF on 3 machines that are on different networks. I try to keep them all as similar as I can.

On one installation, FF is, intermittently, very slow. All that I know for sure is that on that machine, FF seems to think it's very busy quite a lot of the time - lots of tabs simultaneously unable to finish loading ... and then, bingo, they all finish loading quickly. At other times, it will run through a similar set of new tabs with no problems at all.

I am stumped.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Downloaded the Easy2Synch application, but there is no reference to "What's My Computer Doing" in the Easy2 Synch Freeware, nor on the website. I may use this synch program, but it is a bit pricier than others I've seen. Do you think they pulled down the "What's My Computer Doing" dpwnload? JS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As a follow-up to my previous post, I did google "What's My Computer Doing?" and did find a download of the program at www.itsth.com, and it does somehow reference back to Easy2Sync, but no direct download? Well, at least it is not very intuitive!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I went to get process hacker then found out that it is only good for 32 bit OS. Talk about a bummer. All 6 of my PC's have Win7 64 bit.

Thanks
    Suggestion to Editors: Maybe it's time to start specifying when software programs are 32-bit only, 32 and 64-bit, or Native 64-bit, especially for utilities. A lot of Windows 7 systems are now 64-bit right out of the box.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    So, is there a 64-bit utility which can do what Process Hacker does? Anybody, feel free to suggest.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Sysinternals tools that are now owned by Microsoft can do all of the things you describe and more! A search on Sysinternals should provide plenty of links to the tools.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Smutny View Post
    The Sysinternals tools that are now owned by Microsoft can do all of the things you describe and more! A search on Sysinternals should provide plenty of links to the tools.
    The best free program that I have found that tells whats running on your PC is called "Whats Running 3.0. It works on XP,Vista and Windows 7.And it also works on both 32 bit and 64 bit.