2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LANGALIST PLUS

Solving Windows 7 Networking Problems

By Fred Langa

Win7-to-Win7 networking may be easy, but connecting your new Win7 system to older PCs with previous versions of Windows or non-Windows systems can sometimes be a real headache.

Firewalls and Win7's HomeGroups are usually the primary culprits, but these step-by-step tips should help solve your networking troubles with minimal hassle.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/02/25/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-20 at 15:03.

Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    I note that the Bob was having problems with NAS drives.

One of the problems with NAS drives and Windows 7 is that Windows 7 has introduced new security measures which are not compatible with older versions of Samba - a program used by Linux to share folders with Windows. So what does a Linux program have to do with Windows accessing NAS drives? Turns out many NAS devices are really mini Linux servers using Samba and that the version of Samba used is not compatible with the newer security enhancements incorporated into Windows 7. If your lucky, the NAS manufacturer will have a firmware update for your NAS which will update Samba to work with Windows 7.

In my situation, I have a 160Gb Buffalo Linkstation that was purchased about 2.5 years ago. AFAIK, Buffalo have no firmware updates for this drive and Windows 7 cannot directly access it! In my case, I have utilised two methods to access the drive.

1. I set the drive to use FTP access (often made available on NAS drives) and use AceFTP Pro and/or Syncback SE in FTP mode to access the drive. (I use it for backups)
    2. I have an XP machine on my network which can access the drive. I set up an RDP session from my Win 7 computer to the XP machine and use it to access the folders on the NAS. (XP does the necessary conversion of formats.)

Neither method is that hard to set up, but both are a little messy, especially if you are not used to working with FTP or RDP session.

One of the many "joys" of a new version of Windows (don't get me started on HP and printer drivers that are not compatible - period )

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is perhaps worth noting that in Windows Task Manager's Processes tab the CPU update speed can be changed via View menu > Update Speed. Available options are High, Normal (default), Low and Paused.

Geo.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ozact View Post
    One of the problems with NAS drives and Windows 7 is that Windows 7 has introduced new security measures which are not compatible with older versions of Samba - a program used by Linux to share folders with Windows.
    That was my first thought too, rather than it being a firewall on the Win7 PC. You can change the LmCompatibilityLevel setting in the registry to work around this 'problem'. See the discussion at

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...9-4a697a065610

and the Technet article at

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc960646.aspx

which refers to Windows 2000, but is still current with Windows 7. Set the value to 2. If that doesn't work then try 1. If it stioll doesn't work put it back as it was because that wasn't the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to confirm what Thomas has said, I've experienced this same issue with my Infrant/Netgear ReadyNAS device under Windows Vista and Windows 7 and they also recommend that the LmCompatibilityLevel value be changed http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.ph..._with_Vista%3F.

Also, on a somewhat related note, I've personally experienced very poor read performance from my ReadyNAS device when using a wireless connection under Vista and Windows 7. Thankfully there's a pretty easy fix for this too http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=226

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In “Solving Windows 7 networking problems”, by Fred Langa, in the most recent Windows Secrets, I notice that he says that, “…To access Task Manager, press Ctrl + Alt + Del. (Vista and Win7 users then have to select "Start Task Manager.") …”.

In Win7, you can just press Ctrl-Shift-Esc and Windows Task Manager opens right up!

That’s much easier, don’t you think?

Joe Fribley