New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Vista 64 bit (SP2) in a Dell M1530 with 4 GB of RAM. Ever since I got this machine, I have been encountering "Program Not Responding" problems - mostly in Office apps, but sometimes, in other programs. What usually happens is that I see the title bar indicate "program not responding" and, if I click that screen, the text becomes greyed out. In 30 seconds or so, the application starts working again.

This happens almost every time in Acrobat Pro v.9 when I hit the PRINT key. But I see it in Outlook, Word, and Excel sometimes.

A cursory websearch revealed that I'm not alone in reporting this experience, and that most (but not all) of the folks reporting it are apparently using Vista 64 bit. On some websites, a Microsoft guru has explained that it's an IE problem (no, I run Firefox).

Does anyone have an idea how I can correct whatever the heck is causing this problem? It's driving me nuts!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same problem; Gateway, Vista64(sp2), 6gb memory-no special apps. I experience it most often in Firefox, IE8 and Explorer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have the same problem. For me it is mainly in Access (where I spend most of my time).

Today the problem seems much worse. It is happening repeatedly. I wonder if some new update has made things worse.

I have just read this Long Discussion, extending over about 18 months, of this problem. There is one solution proposed there, which several people claim works.
    1. Restart computer.
    2. Enter BIOS
    3. Find your HARD DISK MODE OPTION(SATA), turn it to *IDE*
    4. Save and exit
    I am not personally recommending this - I don't know what to think about it.
    Regards
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's Microsoft's way of trying to teach us patience: meditate on The Force while you're waiting for Vista, or think, "Do you hear the grasshopper which is at your feet?" At least the BSOD is extremely rare. Mine does it almost every day. I have a 64-bit Vista Ultimate sp2 on a 2130MHz Fujitsu laptop w/4GB ram & an ATI HD3470 that has its own 256mb memory. The #1 culprit for "not responding" is IE8, but FF, Opera, and Chrome also do it, as do Word, Photoshop Elements, Nero, you name it. IE8 will do it even on a clean install with nothing else but AV/FW software added. If it starts to happen more than once or twice a day, I revert back to my most recent drive image.

"Problem Reports and Solutions" in the control panel is mis-titled; I average about 2 problems per day, and upload the reports to MS every now and then, but it has yet to find a solution to any of the problems. The only real solution I know of is entitled "MacIntosh." I have a Windows 7 Ultimate disc, but I am waiting for at least SP1 before I dare try it. Maybe it is the solution.