Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Serious problem--My Vista Home Premium laptop is not creating any scheduled restore points. Restore points ARE created when updates are installed. When I access either My Computer>Manage or run the msc file directly, then click on either Event Viewer or Task Scheduler, the MMC application produces a dialog:

"MMC has detected an error with a snap-in and will unload it."

Is there any way to repair Task Scheduler/Event Viewer fails?

sfc /scannow did not fix it.
    Problem exists in Safe Mode as well.
    Problem exists in all user accounts.

Task Scheduler fail message is located here:
    http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/i...kScheduler.jpg

Error messages when closing the dialog are:

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeTyp e type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
    at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)
    at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
    at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.FormView.InternalIniti alize()
    at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.View.HandleInitializat ionRequest(IRequestStatus requestStatus)
    at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.View.ProcessRequest(Re quest request)
    at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.ViewMessageClient.Proc essRequest(Request request)
    at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClien t.ProcessRequest(Request request)
    at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RequestStatu s.BeginRequest(IMessageClient messageClient, RequestInfo requestInfo)
    at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInReques tOperation.ProcessRequest()
    at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.Operation.On ThreadTransfer(SimpleOperationCallback callback)

I will be gone for about 3 hours; will check back later. Thanks for any help you can provide

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you run a complete malware scan?

You should consider a repair of your Vista installation.

NOTE: be sure to backup your data before starting the repair.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Run scans? Yes, all kinds of scans--they show nothing other than occasionally a tracking cookie or two, which I remove. I use LOTS of protections. Everything comes up clean.

Repair:
    a. requires a Vista DVD, which I do not have. This is a Gateway with OEM Vista--only a recovery partition--which does not work. The Gateway program that begins the recovery instantly says "Acer eRecovery Management UI has stopped working" whenever it is started.
    b. I can borrow a Vista DVD, but the only one I can find is original Vista. As I understand it, I need one with SP1 already in it, or the process sees it as a downgrade and will not allow it to proceed.

I am looking for a way to make the Task Scheduler and Event Viewer work. A fundamental Vista process should work and should be repairable when it does not.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by movrshakr View Post
    I am looking for a way to make the Task Scheduler and Event Viewer work. A fundamental Vista process should work and should be repairable when it does not.
    Yes, the fundamentals should work. Sometimes they get broken by a bad patch or malware. When they are broken that is precisely why you need the Operating System DVD.

Have you tried boot into safe mode and seeing if either the Event Log or Task Scheduler works?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Yes, the fundamentals should work. Sometimes they get broken by a bad patch or malware. When they are broken that is precisely why you need the Operating System DVD.
    Have you tried boot into safe mode and seeing if either the Event Log or Task Scheduler works?
    Joe
    Ummm, yes. Original post says:

The OEM Vista is what was delivered installed on the laptop, not a purchased separate OEM OS disk.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ummm, yes. Original post says:
    Oops. I forgot that. Sorry.

Have you checked to see that the services for event logging and task scheduling are running?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked to see that the services for event logging and task scheduling are running?
    Task Scheduler service is Automatic and Started. I see no service named anything close to Event Viewer. What should it be in Vista? is MMC involved? Is it a service?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Task Scheduler service is Automatic and Started. I see no service named anything close to Event Viewer. What should it be in Vista? is MMC involved? Is it a service?
    The service to create event logs is called "Eventlog".

BTW, are you saying you only have Vista SP1?

See Slipstream Windows Vista with SP1 & Create a Bootable Vista SP1 DVD | PaulSpoerry.com for creating a DVD with SP1.

There are similar sites for SP2 - slipstream vista service pack 2 - Bing.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The service to create event logs is called "Eventlog".

BTW, are you saying you only have Vista SP1?

See Slipstream Windows Vista with SP1 & Create a Bootable Vista SP1 DVD | PaulSpoerry.com for creating a DVD with SP1.
    I have no Eventlog service even showing in the services list, much less running. How do I "get it to be there?"

Yes, only SP1. When SP2 came out, there was (is) something on this laptop incompatible with it, so it was never installed.

If I slipstream this laptop's Vista/SP1, it will be a slipstream copy with the problem already embedded in the OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have no Eventlog service even showing in the services list, much less running. How do I "get it to be there?"

Yes, only SP1. When SP2 came out, there was (is) something on this laptop incompatible with it, so it was never installed.

If I slipstream this laptop's Vista/SP1, it will be a slipstream copy with the problem already embedded in the OS.
    If you start with a retail Vista DVD your slipstream version should be just fine.

Without the Eventlog service running you'll have all sorts of problems. See ifWindows Event Log Service Can't Be Started In Windows or Windows Event Log service will not start - Vista Help helps.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just noted in a different thread that it was alleged Vista uses .NET 2.0 for this stuff. I have onlt 3.5 installed. It is possible I saw in the past both 2.0 and 3.5 installed, and removed the 2.0.

I just downloaded 2.0 and 2.0 SP1 update. When I try to run the install for 2.0, it says it is already installed. When I try to run the update, it says the computer does not meet the requirements for this update!

I think this may be part of the funddamental problem, but how do I get 2.0 back into the machine?

MORE IN NEXT POST

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Added: BTW, the link says to start the Eventlog service and set it automatic. It isn't even there to start.

It says to look at a file with the eventviewer--impossible as that is part of the problem; eventviewer doesn't run.

It says to give ...\system32\winevt\logs "Give this Logs folder Read-Write access rights and see if it helps !." It already has Full Control and R and W for all Groups listed for it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Added: BTW, the link says to start the Eventlog service and set it automatic. It isn't even there to start.

It says to look at a file with the eventviewer--impossible as that is part of the problem; eventviewer doesn't run.

It says to give ...\system32\winevt\logs "Give this Logs folder Read-Write access rights and see if it helps !." It already has Full Control and R and W for all Groups listed for it.
    I've never seen a system, certainly since XP, that did not have the event log service.

You keep adding more complications. Now, a .NET problem. I think you should consider reloading the system.

NOTE: Be sure to backup any data & settings that are important to you before starting a reload.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In my searches around the web on this issue, the following pattern emerges:

There are MANY reports of this symptom. MS has to have known about it for a LONG time.
    (Use search terms: Vista "Task Scheduler" and "Event Viewer" MMC )
    Many "try this" resolutions are suggested.
    They are followed by "that didn't fix it."
    The end of the thread is usually "reinstall the OS."

Anybody remember Win 98? That was the standard fix for everything.

I *really* H-A-T-E the thought of a reinstall after a year and a half. Lots of apps to reinstall, and I customize/optimize the settings-options in apps and in the OS to make the machine work efficiently for me. Shortcuts everywhere. There would literally be months of trying to get it back in shape. I have some BU images stored, but one is nearly the original config, plus the most recent two, which will probably have the problem in them.

I will continue with my deflated opinion of Vista and drop it a notch or two more--to nearly scraping the floor. Not much room to take many more hits--unless a miraculous real fix appears.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Correction to something previous....

Based on "The service to create event logs is called "Eventlog", That is what I was looking for. Actually, it is called "Windows Event Log," and that =IS= set to automatic and is running. Something called "Windows Even Collector" is set to manual and is NOT running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast