New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I patch Vista, and a reboot is required, on reboot I get to a screen that says:

Configuring Update Stage 2 of 3 100% Complete
    Do Not Shutdown Your Computer

At this point the computer apparently goes into an endless loop. After waiting as much as a half hour I have shutdown then restarted the computer and the update then goes on to completion.
    How do I get past Stage 2 without a shutdown/restart?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ed Keith,
    This is a Vista problem i see on a regular basis and here is how to fix it....

1) Boot from the Vista install disc (or any bootable disc that will allow access to the hard drive, i.e. Win PE, Vista PE or ERD disc)

2) Choose your language and select the "Repair your computer" option.

3) Start a command prompt and delete/move the following file. C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

4) Restart the PC, you'll get the same 'configuring updates' screen but after a while it will boot to the desktop!!!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had this problem many times, and have yet to be able to apply Vista SP1. I've even tried with an SP1 CD rather than a direct download.

Each time I've needed to use the Vista Repair to get my laptop working.

From my Google Searches it appears this is not an uncommon problem.

I've searched the error/install logs and they always list a bunch of missing and corrupt files (Vista works perfectly regardless).

Short of a total reinstall, does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks much for any advice,

Alan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Neil,
    I have found this file on my computer:

C:\windows\winsxs\temp\pendingrenames\94cc17788b9c ca015b0200003017500a.pending.xml

Other than that there is no pending.xml file on my computer.

Is this the file I should remove?

Ed

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you delete the pending.xml file from the registry you will indeed be able to boot into your desktop.
    This is a short term solution.
    As soon as Vista connects to Microsoft's update pages it will attempt to download and install the same service pack or updates.
    I had this same problem twice on my own computer, once at work and once on a friends home PC.
    After the second time on my own PC I decided that enough is enough and downloaded an evaluation copy of Win 7.
    I installed it and haven't looked back since.
    Therefore I would recommend you install Windows 7 and forget about Vista forever.