New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I'm using Vista Home Premium with SP2.

I notice that the PC's performance slows up/acts strange if I don't reboot after 2-4 days.

Not sure if it's related, but it also has restarted itself 6 times in the last 6 months with this critical error message in the Event Log:

Windows Operating System; Version: 6.0.6002.18005;

Event ID: 41;

Event Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

"The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition."

I show 2,300 Error Events in the last 3 years....nothing dominates the list, but I'm not sure how to interpret any of them.

1) Any suggestions?

2) Is there any program that will actually suggest what causes the instability/how to correct?

thnx

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Herzbrun View Post
    Hi,

I'm using Vista Home Premium with SP2.

I notice that the PC's performance slows up/acts strange if I don't reboot after 2-4 days.

Not sure if it's related, but it also has restarted itself 6 times in the last 6 months with this critical error message in the Event Log:

Windows Operating System; Version: 6.0.6002.18005;

Event ID: 41;

Event Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

"The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition."

I show 2,300 Error Events in the last 3 years....nothing dominates the list, but I'm not sure how to interpret any of them.

1) Any suggestions?

2) Is there any program that will actually suggest what causes the instability/how to correct?

thnx
    See Troubleshooting Microsoft Windows Vista Sleep and Hibernate for your eventid:41 errors.

Your general system instability could be many things. It can be either hardware or software. What programs and their version do you normally run?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    See Troubleshooting Microsoft Windows Vista Sleep and Hibernate for your eventid:41 errors.

Your general system instability could be many things. It can be either hardware or software. What programs and their version do you normally run?

Joe
    I'll have to check out that troubleshooting link in a while.

I'm on my computer all day long and use a whole lot of programs....Excel, Word, MSIE 8.0, Firefox, Frontpage, Poptray, Pegasus email, and too many more to list.

I will say that the most common thing I see is that Internet Explorer crashes and sometimes won't even restart, despite the fact that I find it so slow that I use it rarely and for only one task where it makes transfering pictures from my webhost into Frontpage MUCH easier!!

thnx

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm on my computer all day long and use a whole lot of programs....Excel, Word, MSIE 8.0, Firefox, Frontpage, Poptray, Pegasus email, and too many more to list.
    Several versions of Firefox are well know for what is called "memory leaks". See Memory leak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for details.

What version of FF are you running?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Several versions of Firefox are well know for what is called "memory leaks". See Memory leak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for details.

What version of FF are you running?

Joe
    I'm using FF 3.6 and try my best to regularly update all of my software.

I've seen the FF memory leak issue and I've learned to periodically close some of my tabs and totally shut it down once in a while, but I find IE misbehaves and that's a sure sign the PC is close to requiring a reboot.

Not sure if IE causes the issue or just "predicts" the issue!!??

I'd love some program that might help give me a more definitive indication where my problem comes from.

thnx

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm using FF 3.6 and try my best to regularly update all of my software.

I've seen the FF memory leak issue and I've learned to periodically close some of my tabs and totally shut it down once in a while, but I find IE misbehaves and that's a sure sign the PC is close to requiring a reboot.

Not sure if IE causes the issue or just "predicts" the issue!!??

I'd love some program that might help give me a more definitive indication where my problem comes from.
    Have you checked the event logs?

Have you tried running IE with addins disabled?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked the event logs?

Have you tried running IE with addins disabled?

Joe
    I tried to start IE 3 times to disable them....program crashed each time....."Data Execution Prevention......"

Fourth try worked and I disabled them all.....Let's hope it helps!

QUESTION: Are they now disabled each time I restart IE or do I do that each time?

thnx

Administrator
    Thanks
    I tried to start IE 3 times to disable them....program crashed each time....."Data Execution Prevention......"

Fourth try worked and I disabled them all.....Let's hope it helps!

QUESTION: Are they now disabled each time I restart IE or do I do that each time?
    If you disabled them from within IE they will remain disabled. If your IE crashes seem to be fixed you should re-enable the addins one at a time. When the problem returns you've identified the culprit. Then you can try to find an updated version or contact the addin vendor for help.

Joe