Thanks
    This is my first question to the Lounge Lizards. I have been reading the Langa List for years and now read Windows Secrets, although I am a rank novice I have learned and used many tips to make my computing experience enjoyable and enlightening. I am hoping someone has experience with Hard Drive Mechanic. I have a crashed hard drive that I couldn't recover by using the rescue disc I made. I am considering purchasing the Hard Drive Mechanic and have spent a couple hours searching out reviews and they are either very good reviews or very bad reviews. No in between. Not sure if it is a situation of actual users or people that work for the software company extolling their product VS people from competitors trying to trash Hard Drive Mechanic. Hopefully, a fellow Lounge Lizard can help. I am aware of other programs that cost much more, but I am on a limited budget. It would be great if this program does what it says. I am also aware that some drives can not be recovered, depending on the damage. I believe my drive crashed because of a corrupt download of a questionable Java Update. Hopefully that fact, if correct, will not be too serious to prevent a recovery. Thanks in advance for any assistance that is offered.

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with that program, but what are the symptoms of your drive crash?

For example, if you attach the drive using a USB external drive caddy, does the drive show up in the Device Manager's "Disk Management" dialog? If so, do the partitions still show a proper file system or do they show "RAW"?

Thanks
    After I got a new HD, I connected the old drive as a slave and when I went to My Computer it showed the old drive but when I tried to access it I got the message that the drive was unreadable or corrupted. I have since disconnected the old drive while I searched for a way to access it.The old drive is PATA connected by a wide ribbon.
    I'm not familiar with a USB external drive caddy. I don't know if my response helps you any. Thanks for you reply.