5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's another one form this newbie on Win7... The size of the shortcut arrow is quite large, I'd like it to stay but decrease in size a bit... is there a simple way?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikJan View Post
    Here's another one form this newbie on Win7... The size of the shortcut arrow is quite large, I'd like it to stay but decrease in size a bit... is there a simple way?
    Not sure if you can. But check out Ultimate Windows Tweaker, a TweakUI for Windows 7 & Vista | The Windows Club. It is free and may help.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a simple way with a little registry hack. It does seem odd that in Win7 when you resize you icons to 'Small' that the shortcut arrow covers remains huge and covers a good portion of the underlying icon. Anyhow, copy the following into notepad and save it to your desktop as Small Icon.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\Shell Icons]
    "29"="%SystemRoot%\\system32\\SHELL32.dll,29"

You can also open RegEdit and add the value. As always, backup your registry or create a restore point so you can revert if something goes wrong. Worked for me. Basically you telling windows to use the 29th icon in the Shell32.dll as the overlay.

Personally I hate the shortcut arrow all together, and have the 29 value above point to a blank.ico file so I have no arrows, but I only recommend that if you fully understand shortcuts, and which are actual files and which are links! Here is the reg key for that...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\Shell Icons]
    "29"="C:\\Windows\\Blank.ico,0"

Of course, you'll have to create a blank ico file, or download one, and copy it to C:\Windows, or modify the path to the proper location,

Nathan