New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 4 yr. old H.P. desktop system with windows xp media center installed,also have Norton.I.S.2010 version,have had N.I.S since system was new.Anyway I have problems with system freezing up,error`s, and long boot times sometimes.What my main question is,should you wipe you`re system clean and re-install windows every several years to get rid of the junk? I don`t think i have viruses i am very careful about security.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Graybeal View Post
    I have 4 yr. old H.P. desktop system with windows xp media center installed,also have Norton.I.S.2010 version,have had N.I.S since system was new.Anyway I have problems with system freezing up,error`s, and long boot times sometimes.What my main question is,should you wipe you`re system clean and re-install windows every several years to get rid of the junk? I don`t think i have viruses i am very careful about security.
    I don't think it is necessary to reinstall Windows. If you care to that is up to you.

You should try to diagnose the problems otherwise even if you reinstall you could end up with the same issues.

What errors are you receiving?

Have you checked the event logs for any indication of what's happening?

You can start to diagnose slow boot times by using a free tool such as Autoruns for Windows. See the "Logon" tab. Post a screenshot back here if you are not sure of what you are seeing.

Joe
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    4 year old PCs tend to have accumulated lots of dust and grime. A good clean with a vacuum and re-seating the memory and drive connectors often works wonders.

cheers, Paul