New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a global way to stop Win7 from saving ANY data to C:\users\username?

I am getting sick of transferring to dedicated data partition

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The "Win 7 Library Tool" has a very useful feature besides being able to add folders to your libraries. It allows you to select the default folder for each library. This won't prevent dumb applications from using their own default folders, but Windows will by default offer to save in a folder you have added to your library from the dedicated data partition.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun Yup View Post
    Is there a global way to stop Win7 from saving ANY data to C:\users\username?
    No, there is no global way. However, in Windows Explorer open C:\users\username then right click on each folder. If the folder has a "Location" tab you can change it to another drive if you wish.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I'm wondering what data? Many programs have the ability to change default save and open locations. Some are easy to change, some not so easy. I create a DATA directory on my machines and change all defaults to use that for my personal data. Easy to backup, easy to move to a new machine.

As far as globally, I'm going to have to look into what Kent said, libraries have been around for a while in photography software, but are new for me as far as OSes go.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    By a change in the registry, you can have Windows 7 create all new accounts in an other location.
    That's what I use on newly installed systems. That leaves only the administrator account in the original location.
    Moving an existing account was doable in XP, I gave it up in Win7.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory
    The default value is "c:\Users".

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to Kent W, JoeP, Chuck De LaRosa, and O.P. Vissen for your advice to my very first post. I will try your suggestions over the next few weeks.

In explination, when Win7 came out I got a new 1 tb disk and added it to my Vista 300 gb setup.
    I installed Win7 to the new disk and after a few minor setup problems, Win7 set itself up as a dual boot system. (Thanks m/soft).
    the only minor problem is that as I change back and forth, the C and D driveson different disks, switch (C always thee active one) this means that any data on these partitionsare difficult to backup.
    I have always had partitions for Data, Video,and a small one for Page File (to avoid frequent defrag) and intend to eventually train installed programs to move all data to the data partitions.(I hope)
    Thanks again

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I installed Win7 to the new disk and after a few minor setup problems, Win7 set itself up as a dual boot system. (Thanks m/soft).
    You did this to yourself, not done by Microsoft. When you told the install to go to a different location, it left the original OS intact (as it always has), so you declared it to be a dual boot system.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.