Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to determine the cause of extremely slow performance from a laptop system running XP Pro SP3 with the following specs:

Sony VAIO VGN-SZ260P
    Intel Core Duo Processor 1.85Ghz
    1GB RAM
    700GB Hard Drive (250 GB available)
    Running Avast 5.0 Antivirus

I've run Antivirus and Malware scans (using MalwareBytes AntiMalware) and am convinced that the problem is NOT malware-related. I also ran HiJackThis and checked startups; there are many of them, but none seem dangerous. I also disabled a few services (via Services.MSC) that, according to the XP service list at blkviper.com, are safe to disable.
    When I check Task Manager, most of the time is "System Idle Process" -- usually between 90%-98%.
    Though I haven't used it yet, I am going to use SysInternals Process Explorer to see if I can determine what is causing the system to run so slowly.
    Can anyone recommend any other tools to diagnose what processes and/or services are causing the system to run so slowly?
    Let me know if I can provide any additional information about this system.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using ZoneAlarm Free and accidentally clicked on the Free Trial of the Pro version. This caused my system to slow down and it didn't improve until I reloaded the free version.

Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geistman View Post
    I also disabled a few services (via Services.MSC) that, according to the XP service list at blkviper.com, are safe to disable.
    When I check Task Manager, most of the time is "System Idle Process" -- usually between 90%-98%.
    Though I haven't used it yet, I am going to use SysInternals Process Explorer to see if I can determine what is causing the system to run so slowly.
    Can anyone recommend any other tools to diagnose what processes and/or services are causing the system to run so slowly?
    Let me know if I can provide any additional information about this system.
    What do you mean by "extemely slow"?

Is this a recent occurrence?

What has changed on the system?

Do you have any drive mapping defined?

In Windows Explorer have you disabled "Automatically search for Network..."?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    By "extremely slow", I am primarily concerned about the performance when launching and running applications (though the system is slow to boot up and shut down too). For example, if I launch an application, it takes a couple of minutes before the app window appears. And when I type text, the on-screen echo of what is typed lags, sometimes by seconds.

This system is not mine; it belongs to a friend. She has been complaining about the performance for some time, though it seems to have deteriorated recently. And though she claims that nothing has changed, I can't be certain that this is the case. It's a home computer, so I don't believe there are any drive mappings, though I will check the next time I have access to the system. I'll also check and make sure the "Automatically search for Network" setting is disabled. And I don't believe she is running any firewall software (except the built-in Windows Firewall).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geistman View Post
    This system is not mine; it belongs to a friend. She has been complaining about the performance for some time, though it seems to have deteriorated recently. And though she claims that nothing has changed, I can't be certain that this is the case. It's a home computer, so I don't believe there are any drive mappings, though I will check the next time I have access to the system. I'll also check and make sure the "Automatically search for Network" setting is disabled. And I don't believe she is running any firewall software (except the built-in Windows Firewall).
    With a proper set of other security software and safe computing practices running the Windows Firewall is OK. Be sure to check what is being started when the system boots. You'd be surprised at what goes on during system startup. A tool such as Autoruns for Windows is invaluable for helping to diagnose startup issues. Use Task Manager when the system is running to see what is consuming system resources.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    How many services does the task manager say is running at any given time. I've got my XP laptop
    running anywhere from mid 20s to lower 30s. There's quite a bit of tweak room here.

Black Viper Service Configuration

Remove non vital programs that want to start on boot.
    Free up space by removing windows update uninstalled files.
    Consider removing uneeded & or unused software.
    You could also dump indexing, sys restore, and remote access.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    i think you will manage to get to the bottom of the issue with Autoruns and Process Explorer, that would be my recommendation. If you have sufficient free disk space, i would also consider using Piriform's CCleaner and Defraggler - CCleaner can clean all temp and junk files, as well as give the registry a good going over (you can create a backup file before telling it to fix all faults). Then defrag the hard drive to increase the application and file read speeds. Also be mindful of the AV package -- try disabling it, and then repeat your app launch test -- if it works faster, your AV package real-time scanner is the culprit, try AVG instead or another free package.

I guess even though the system has at least 1GB ram, there maybe a shared graphics card which can suck up to 64-128MB RAM from that, though you will see that when you view the System properties page (System icon in Control Panel), if it doesn't show as 1GB, then you will know it shares the RAM. More RAM may fix the issue, and allow more multitasking/launching of multiple apps and files.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    try checking if DMA for your HDD is set to ON. go to device manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, right click on Primary IDE Channel, Click Properties, Go to advanced settings. transfer mode must be set to DMA if available if it is only set to PIO mode only you need to uninstall the Primary IDE Channel and let windows redetect it.