New Lounger
    Thanks
    Your Feb, 25,2010 newsletter just arrived. I read the warnings about the WAT KB 971033 update which Microsoft would be pushing "in the next several weeks". Immediately, I went to change my Updates from automatic to manual. After I applied the change, I found KB 971033 was waiting for my approval to install it. Is this just coincidence, or is MS attempting a preemptive update before your readers have a chance to block KB 971033?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Eve View Post
    Your Feb, 25,2010 newsletter just arrived. I read the warnings about the WAT KB 971033 update which Microsoft would be pushing "in the next several weeks". Immediately, I went to change my Updates from automatic to manual. After I applied the change, I found KB 971033 was waiting for my approval to install it. Is this just coincidence, or is MS attempting a preemptive update before your readers have a chance to block KB 971033?
    Microsoft operates on their own schedule. They do not care about an opinion piece in the Windows Secrets newsletter concerning a patch that is just now being released. I agree with the sentiment expressed about the patch but don't think it is worth the effort to worry about it.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Strangely, some users report they have had 971033 offered through Windows Update, but I definitely haven't. I wonder if it is aimed at a particular edition of Windows 7?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post
    Strangely, some users report they have had 971033 offered through Windows Update, but I definitely haven't. I wonder if it is aimed at a particular edition of Windows 7?
    Mine was offered through Windows Update...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S G Thomas View Post
    Mine was offered through Windows Update...
    what version of win 7 are you running? is it offered on win7 home premium 64 bit or only 32 bit?
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiousclive View Post
    what version of win 7 are you running? is it offered on win7 home premium 64 bit or only 32 bit?
    I got it the same day as the newsletter. I have Win 7, 64bit, Home Premium. I had already installed it, so I un-installed it. Now, I'm wondering what the ramifications are, of not having it. The newsletter talked of risks having it, but none of NOT having it.

Anyone think I should reinstall it?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running Win7 Ultimate (MSDN download version). I've not seen 971033 offered as of this morning.