Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just recently upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. I got a bit sick of being interrupted at inconvenient times, so I set Windows update to download but to allow me to choose when to instal. Despite this setting, on occasion when I shut down, I get a message telling me not to switch off because an update has been installed and is being configured. What is the point of saying you want to choose when to instal if the OS just ignores your setting?
    Maria
    Simmo7
    Victoria, Australia

Thanks
    Hi simmo7,

I have had the same difficulty using the same setting, but the good news is that when you go to shut down your PC there is a small security icon on your shutdown button letting you know that updates are ready for installation. Whenever I see that, I back out and go to Control Panel | Windows Update where I can view all pending updates and can approve or disapprove any or all. I hold off on updating until I get the WS Newsletter on Thursday to see what Susan Bradley advises.

I have just yesterday changed my setting to advise but do not download and install until I approve to do so. I am hoping to see better behavior out of that setting.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Enable the "check for updates only" option is the most hassle free way to go. I've been doing
    it this way since XP days.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's good advice, CLiNT.

For years I've had XP st on "Download and let me choose". XP always asked upon shutdown if it should install updates. Evidently Windows 7 does not ask, it just starts installing. That's especially irritating it it has a long install and I just wanted to do a quick reboot.

Related question - This week's Windows Secrets advised not installing patch 971033. Is there a way to mark specific updates as "hidden" or "do not install" in advance?

Walt

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Scrivens View Post
    Related question - This week's Windows Secrets advised not installing patch 971033. Is there a way to mark specific updates as "hidden" or "do not install" in advance?
    Until an update is offered there is no way for your system to do anything about it.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    You could learn how to completely disable all automated updating and re-enable it to update manually once the "Patch watchers" have verified the updates as 'safe' or necessary.

This is not for the inexperienced or anyone who is reliant upon Defender or MS Security Essentials to safeguard against viruses/malware. A good working knowledge of Windows Services is a prerequisite.

Thanks
    Configure automatic updates to look only, not download, and you will never be bothered by it.
    It's that simple. Choose what to instal. Choose when to boot.

If your really ambitious, you can always hold off an update and check Susan Bradley's column
    or research an update yourself.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    when you check the list of updates which comes up when you ask to download updates , if you uncheck the box of one update then start downloading another box pops up asking wether you wish for that unchecked update to be hidden and so not downloaded in win 7. xp says do you wish to never upload I think

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for your suggestions, I have turned automatic update back on but told it to download and instal at a specific time each week - then it will only annoy me once a week.
    Maria
    Simmo7
    Victoria, Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Agree with Clint
    Never had a problem and have installed all the updates about 22 msu