New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is so basic I can hardly believe I need to ask it.

Can anyone point me to a good explanation of the different ways to connect printers to a network and their pros and cons?

Just to flesh out my query: I have a fairly typical home network consisting of an ADSL wireless router, a wired desktop PC, 3 wireless laptops and, currently, an A3 networked printer (HP8750) connected via Ethernet to the router. All the computers can access the printer and everything works fine. However, the printer is on its last legs and must be replaced. This has made me think.

So specifically:
    1. What happens if I connect a printer, that makes no mention of network capability, via USB to my router which obviously has a USB port? How would the printer be accessed? What would be different from the situation I have at the moment?
    2. What about WiFi printers? I realise (I think) that each computer that has WiFi capability could talk directly to the printer avoiding the network - but can it also be set up so that the printer becomes part of the network and essentially only talks to the router or is that how they are intended to be used?

You can see that there is some pretty basic stuff that I need help with. Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, Peter.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Everett View Post
    1. What happens if I connect a printer, that makes no mention of network capability, via USB to my router which obviously has a USB port? How would the printer be
    accessed? What would be different from the situation I have at the moment?
    2. What about WiFi printers? I realise (I think) that each computer that has WiFi capability could talk directly to the printer avoiding the network - but can it also be set up so that the printer becomes part of the network and essentially only talks to the router or is that how they are intended to be used?
    1.) If the printer does not have network capability attaching it to the router is pointless.

2.) A WIFI printer will communicate to the router since the router controls networking. All PCs will communicate through the router to the printer as you do now with the wired printer.

Joe
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As I understand it your router has a USB printer port. If this is the case the router becomes the print server and passes print data to the printer. It's the same arrangement if you connect the printer to a PC. All other PCs see a network attached printer and just send data to it.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe & Paul for your quick replies. Looks like I will pursue the WiFi option.

Peter