New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am looking to merge into one file a group of documents. The documents must be able to maintain their own identity and not be affected by a change in any other document in the file. Example- each series of pages in the file must be able to maintain their separate page numbers, headers, footers etc. I must be able to add to the pages in each file if necessary. I am an architect and this type of book is called a "construction specification" book. Is there a simple way to achieve this merging? I have Microsoft word 2007.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As answered in other newsgroups.

Open doc1, go to the end (ctrl+end) and insert a Section Break, Next Page. On the new page, Insert, File and choose Doc2. Ctrl+End and insert another Section Break, Next Page and then on the new page Insert, File, doc3 and so on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Manns View Post
    I am an architect and this type of book is called a "construction specification" book. Is there a simple way to achieve this merging? I have Microsoft word 2007.
    Reminds me of: [topic=510317]Organizing Word Documents (2003)[/topic].

If you are thinking of building one big Word document, the devil is in the details. For example, if you use different style definitions in one or more documents, or if you use a different page orientation, then the straightforward approach no longer gets you all the way there. Here is a recent thread discussing some of the issues: [topic=769750]inserting Word docs into other Word docs[/topic].

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post
    As answered in other newsgroups.

Open doc1, go to the end (ctrl+end) and insert a Section Break, Next Page. On the new page, Insert, File and choose Doc2. Ctrl+End and insert another Section Break, Next Page and then on the new page Insert, File, doc3 and so on.
    Unfortunatlely, this approach doesn't work with Word 2007 - the Insert./File command has been moved under the Insert tab in the Text group under Object, and has been renamed to Text From File. Furthermore, it inserts the text, and does not create a link. Thus changes to one of the inserted documents are not reflected in the main document. The post Jefferson suggested is a good starting point. You might also consider creating a link to the existing document using Word field codes, but that doesn't achieve your "simple" objective.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well actually the Insert File is still there: you just need to add it to your QAT. (Not quite sure why Microsoft removed it from its obvious place - the Inert Tab on the Ribbon - but I guess the millions of robots they use in their user labs never inserted a file!)

The questioner does not want to LINK contents, he wants to MERGE documents. So my solution is simple and logically.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Unfortunatlely, this approach doesn't work with Word 2007 - the Insert./File command has been moved under the Insert tab in the Text group under Object, and has been renamed to Text From File. Furthermore, it inserts the text, and does not create a link. Thus changes to one of the inserted documents are not reflected in the main document. The post Jefferson suggested is a good starting point. You might also consider creating a link to the existing document using Word field codes, but that doesn't achieve your "simple" objective.
    Once you select the file to be inserted, click the insert button (lower right) and then select insert as link.

Rick: If you need to combine these types of documents often, you should be very systematic about how you create the "feeder" documents. Each should have its own template, margins, headers, and footers, and its own set of styles. Then you can combine the documents with fewer problems. You can automate the combining process with a macro. I haven't used one recently, so ask in the Visual Basic for Apps forum.

Pam
    Pam Caswell